Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cigarette burns on carpet
  • poolman
    Free Member

My outgoing tenants have made some cigarette burns (4) on a 15 month old carpet. Can they be professionally repaired

Also, if they cannot, any ideas what I can claim against their damage deposit.

Thanks in advance

binners

FuzzyWuzzy

Probably depends how big they are, the person I bought my flat from must have been a stoner as there were huge (3-5 inch long) burn marks in the carpet that he’d conveniently covered with rugs etc. when I viewed it. They’re down to the backing though so would only be repairable with cutting out the section if that’s what you mean? I’d certainly be withholding some deposit if they’re more than barely-noticeable cosmetic marks.

nickjb
    Free Member

Have you got an offcut from when it was fitted. Not too hard to make some plugs and glue them in. Not ideal but good enough with minimum fuss and expense.

Junkyard
    Free Member

possibly with off cuts if you have them and its a simple/non pattern ir taking fibres and gluing them into the hole if its not very big – you tube must have guides on this.

I imagine you can claim for new carpet/whatever it costs you due to the burns
    IANAL

poolman
    Free Member

Ok thanks, I want them done properly. The photos look like just small burns in top layer. Is there such a thing as a carpet burn repairer?

jamesy01
    Free Member

Always found Savlon was good for carpet burns…

globalti
    Free Member

*Snigger* good joke.

Cut out the damage and fill with a patch, done well it’s invisible. Make sure you get the nap of the carpet running in the same direction.

seosamh77
    Free Member

poolman – Member
    Also, if they cannot, any ideas what I can claim against their damage deposit.

New carpets, and probably re painting and cleaning the house properly. tbh if they’ve been smoking in the house and you specified no smoking, I’d imagine you could go to town on their deposit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I want them done properly

you are just going to pay someone to either

1) make a patch
    2) use fibres from spare carpet to glue in place

there is no expertise involved in the later

Then again they damaged it so I think I would be replacing them personally and charging them unless I really liked them [ which i would not after 4 fag burns on my new carpet].

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Back in a past life, when we used to party in our parents houses when they were away, the odd small burn in the carpet was almost inevitable.

We would trim carpet fibres from various, more hidden areas and glue them to the burnt patch, with occasionally very good results.

km79
    Free Member

Do they stink of smoke as well? I’d have a no smoking policy (dunno if that’s even legal) and charge them for replacement if so.

poolman
    Free Member

Ok thanks all. I just asked the tenant to make good or authorise me to repair or replace. I dont know if it smells of smoke but the inventory is tomorrow. Thanks again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cigarette burns on carpet’ is closed to new replies.