Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Cielo: The Chris King bike
  • hora
    Free Member

I’ve noticed in a search its been mentioned in a couple of posts but my word I’m interested 😀

http://cielo.chrisking.com/bikes/road-racer/

The hobby road cyclists who say you can’t do this/can’t do that. Who cares. Its a bicycle and my word its nice.

Klunk
    Free Member

not a big fan of deepish section carbon wheels on skinny tubed steel road bikes.

hora
    Free Member

Whereas I’ve got a thang for skinny steel 8)

nemesis
    Free Member

Could you order one with a 59cm top tube? I’ll buy it for a couple of sheckles when you decide it’s too long/short/slow/fast/comfortable/harsh/flexy/stiff/skinny/fat/wrong material/misaligned/needs a dropper/more rebound/compression/road riding is boring *

* delete as appropriate

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Seems expensive, especially compared to your Ritchey, you’re well into full blown custom territory from Engima, Rouke, etc

hora
    Free Member

Nemesis posting negativity why?

Houns

Or a pisstake as it’s funny?

nemesis
    Free Member

C’mon, it’s just banter (bants I believe).

Is that a no though? 😉

phil40
    Free Member

Press fit BB… I am out!

phil40
    Free Member

I do like the skinny tube, deep section look though!

nemesis
    Free Member

OK, I feel bad now 🙁

Glad you’ve found a bike you like. For me it’s a way away from what I like as I can’t really see the point of it but then I love my Bianchi despite it actually being fairly run of the mill compared to other bikes I’ve had and probably being overpriced for what it is.

I’m sure you’ll be very happy together (but I reckon you do need a 59cm top tube)

hora
    Free Member

Its as funny as the weekly ‘look at Hammonds new white teeth’ joke on Top Gear.

nemesis
    Free Member

Hammond has white teeth? 😯

Off to look this up now!

everyone
    Free Member

What do you want another nice steel road bike for? I’d much rather have the Ritchey anyway, those Cielos always come across as a bit gaudy to me.

nemesis
    Free Member

See, everyone agrees with me 😉

lunge

Oooooh, that is lovely. I, perhaps oddly, think deep section carbon wheels looks very good with skinny tubes, very good indeed. I’ll take a rosso one please, Enve wheels, mechanical Dura-Ace, lovely.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Whats so interesting about this than any of the other zillion steel bikes that are now available? Genuine question, I just don’t understand how you can look at a pic of a bike that looks on the surface like any others and want it.

Its like the shand thing, nice and all that just not that special. Nice detailing though but a bit lairy for me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Old tech & trendy colours at new prices, no wonder the fanbois are fapping

I bet its been described as “laterally stiff yet vertically compliant”.

benji
    Free Member

Its as funny as the weekly ‘look at Hammonds new white teeth’ joke on Top Gear.

And almost as funny as this thread

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/harsh-suspension-after-car-service

Would you look at that, it’s the same person who started this thread, what’s next which greenhouse to throw stones from 😆

Really like the Cielo’s but the pricing is a bit steep, but then again if I had the money I probably would, just because I could.

nemesis
    Free Member

And actually, that thread was why I posted my comment…

#Heat #kitchen #bants #anothersteelartisanframe

😉

phil40
    Free Member

If I was going to go for a steel road bike it would be either a Mercian (with the loooong waiting list) or possibly a Rourke!

hora
    Free Member

Benji rather than go on someones thread and spoil it I created a new one that was very oblique without being insulting or offensive. Hence why I wasn’t one of those banned.

I get the plenty of steel frames around/out there but then you could say the same for loads of manufacturers now churning out carbon frames as if steel was gone/done with/the past.

I’m glad steel is still around on road bikes 😀

nemesis
    Free Member

I’d go for a Pegoretti if I was going to buy a road skinny steel ego chariot

http://mosquito-bikes.co.uk/our-bikes/pegoretti/

phil40
    Free Member

What is so good about steel btw?

benji
    Free Member

Hora I wasn’t banned either, as I didn’t realize at first it was a lampooning thread.

Love steel bikes as well, hence I own two RC129’s and need to sort the cross bike out to steel at some point.

phil40
    Free Member

Mercian all the way for me, I know it wouldn’t be the lightest, but it is the closest I can imagine a bike frame to being a bespoke suit! Have you seen the lugs they can use! Each one hand cut, they are just lovely. The only issue is that you have to wait a really long time from enquiring to getting one, last time I checked!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m glad steel is still around on road bikes

Having ridden steel, aluminium and carbon road bikes I much prefer my carbon one.

stumpy01

The orange one in the scrolling gallery looks OK with the ‘normal’ wheels and black crankset.

But the other ones looks like a jarring clash of traditional and cutting edge. Just looks wrong to me.+

Is $2495 for the whole bike? Or the frame/fork/headset only? Genuine question, I’m not sure. If it’s just the frame etc. then EEEK! No way, Jose…..

ahwiles
    Free Member

phil40 – Member

What is so good about steel btw?

it’s:

A) cheap

B) practically infinitely recycle-able.

C) hard wearing and durable.

D) capable of making a perfectly good frame.

nemesis
    Free Member

I reckon Hora’s original link disagrees with A) 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Circa £1,800 is alot. It aint cheap and to some it aint pretty but coffins don’t have pockets. Some people drop 1800+ on a Santa Cruz frame that they’ll then take off road, grit up and fall off.

I can’t afford it but I really like it.

stumpy01

hora – Member

Circa £1,800 is alot. It aint cheap and to some it aint pretty

So that is just for the frame & fork……cripes. But, yeah if you can afford it, then why not?

I don’t think it’s ugly and built up with parts that matched the style of the bike it would probably look fine.
    To me though, it doesn’t look particularly ‘special’ – just looks like a skinny tubed bike frame in bright colours.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whats so interesting about this than any of the other zillion steel bikes that are now available? Genuine question, I just don’t understand how you can look at a pic of a bike that looks on the surface like any others and want it.

Plenty of things.

That one’s a cutom tubeset so it’s no less different to any other steel bike as any carbon bike is different to another. Or if going custom there’s a plethora of tubesets to pick and chose from, part of the skill of the builder being to pick out the best combination for a certain aplication.

That and a lot of carbon bikes are flat out ugly, so almost anything seel will always look better.

Is $2495 for the whole bike? Or the frame/fork/headset only? Genuine question, I’m not sure. If it’s just the frame etc. then EEEK! No way, Jose…..

I assume it is just the frame/fork, but that’s not outrageous, £1675, of which £400 is swallowed up by the ENVE fork.

dragon
    Free Member

I don’t get it.

Our design utilizes a Press Fit 30 Bottom Bracket for undiminished power transfer

1) Press Fit 30 is sh*t.

2) A steel frame will flex like buggery around the BB, so why worry about the minuscule increase in stiffness between one BB design and another.

3) Over priced – as other have pointed out you can get a custom frame for less.

MrNice
    Free Member

another vote for the orange one with normal wheels. Aero rims and skinny tubes don’t work for me. I do like the colours though.

D0NK

yeah the blue one with normal wheels, nice

bottom bracket size: Press Fit 30 Bottom Bracket

ah, nevermind.

njee20
    Free Member

They all look very meh to me, nothing special at all if someone didn’t tell you it was special.

The only steel frames I’ve ever thought were impressive is English. They do look very cool!

MoreCashThanDash

Really like that bike, there was a review in Cyclist magazine about the same time as they had the Donhou. Would struggle to choose between them. And an Enigma….

Candodavid
    Free Member

If I was to drop wedge on something for the road, this has long been on my list

A guilty pleasure

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Cielo: The Chris King bike’ is closed to new replies.