Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chronic illness and Canada
  • matt_outandabout

Would Canada take on an ‘ill’ (i.e. chronic issue that needs treating) person for a period of a year or two, if they are UK citizen and have job or partner has job?
    I know that some places have reciprical agreements over such things, but google is not giving me an answer…

deserter
    Free Member

We came over on temp work permits and got given a health card with no medicals, our son became quite sick and we had no probs, one thing though healthcare is pretty crack in Calgary so I don’t know if it’s the same all over canada

matt_outandabout

But would they let us in with existing chronic condition?

deserter
    Free Member

how would they know? like I say no medicals, the only time we had medicals were when we applied for landed status, and even then it was mainly communicable diseases they were looking for. When I was researching a lot they would accept people HIV+ so wouldn’t see a reason to knock back many people. Its crazy that you can be here 2 years with no medical then they check you to become landed, I could have already infected the Country by that point

but it could take you a long time to get GP we have been here 3 years and most places won’t even let you go on a waiting list

nicko74

For that period of time as a temporary foreign worker, yes, you’d be fine. Just don’t be coughing nonstop at the border! 😉
    If you wanted to get permanent residence then a medical is part of the application process, so it could be more tricky.

matt_outandabout

OK, let me re-phrase as I haven’t been clear… 😉

mrs_oab needs £10k a year treatment, and without it would have real issues. With treatment is fine and OK. Would Canada foot the bill…?

deserter
    Free Member

ah

you pay for prescriptions etc here, for instance when I got H1N1 the inhaler and some cough medicine to dope me up cost $180

£10k could be $100k here for all you know

so the question would be more for both of your employers as in would they have Blue Cross and does it cover what you need

sweaman2
    Free Member

I think you’re going to need some better advice than a forum can give…

As deserter stated I also didn’t get any sort of medical check-up until I applied for residency – when I was here on a work permit there was no medical.

But deserter +1 – Calgary health care is poor in terms of GP’s so I wouldn’t want to come here and know I’d need immediate access to a GP etc, etc. Other parts of Canada might be different though.

The Canadian health care is also (from a UK perspective) a strange mix of NHS and Health insurance. For example if Mrs_oab was Canadian and needed $16K of prescription drugs than it would up to her health insurance scheme to decide if that was covered (which is normally provided by the employer or through private contributions). If she needed $16k of outpatient treatment in a hospital then it would covered (probably) under the provincial health service. So it’s not quite a simple as it might first appear…

EDIT: Following deserters comment – Blue Cross is one of the major health insurance companies. Can you tell it’s lunch time in Calgary by the speed / duplicity of responses… 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

Frankly, I’d be amazed if they did.

matt_outandabout

buggeridge.

deserter
    Free Member

I like most people used to moan about things like NHS and British Post and Public Transport and…… you get the idea, once I left I realised how amazingly fantastic they are

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chronic illness and Canada’ is closed to new replies.