Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chromecast to watch live TV? Or alternatives – Now TV, etc?
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve got a TV upstairs which doesn’t have an aerial connection nearby and I’d like to be able to watch live TV on it.

I have Sky go (so I can watch my Sky TV channels on my tablet or laptop and I had been thinking of getting a chromecast to use with this to watch live TV but it seems that it won’t work on the chromecast.

I guess I could watch via casting from a tablet with the Sky Go app but it’s a bit of a faff and means tying up a tablet whenever I want to do it.

So how are you watching live TV via chromecast or similar? Have I missed an app or is there a different box/etc that’ll do the job?

Thanks

DickBarton

Sky app won’t cast to TVs…at least I’ve not managed to make it work…

mav12
    Free Member

nowtv wont do it either has all the players but catch up only

nemesis
    Free Member

Burger. Thanks anyway.

TheFlyingOx

If you’re using android, you can set the SkyGo thing going on your phone/tablet and use the “cast screen” option from the Chromecast app (or at least I’ve managed to cast everything I’ve tried so far). Dunno if iOS is the same.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a similar problem fortunately solved by my legacy set-up around Windows Media Centre on my main PC. It has dual tuners and can serve live TV to a Media Extender on a second TV (such as an Xbox of a handful of aftermarket extenders). Remarkably for a techno genetic dead end it works really well.

But its not something that anyone should think about setting out to do unless they already have a media PC.

Alternatively I reckon you might be able to use an app called Web Video Caster which will cast embedded video to a Chromecast stick.

You might be able to use embedded vid such as on ITV player etc.

I use it with Couchtuner to cast embedded vid streams of TV series to my TV.

jeffl

IPlayer will stream to Chromecast.

Bregante

In a Viz top tips stylee why not just change the date on your watch and live your life one day behind everybody else?

That way you can watch all the top programmes on demand.

Problem solved.

DickBarton

Just checked Sky Go app on android…no cast option…

martinhutch

Not within the Sky Go app – they won’t endorse it because they want to flog you multiroom, I guess.

But the Chromecast app has an option to just cast whatever’s on your screen – you can run that first, cast the screen, then open sky go and select your programme.

DickBarton

Cool, ta

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chromecast to watch live TV? Or alternatives – Now TV, etc?’ is closed to new replies.