Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chromecast not working, grrr.
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Tried watching something last night via Chromecast but it aint having it.
    We were with Plusnet & have gone on to Sky broadband (I know, wife did it) & now of course I can’t get the CC to join the WiFi. I’ve tried the usual reset-reboot etc but every time I put the password in it fails to connect.
    I read somewhere that the WiFi needs to be on 2.4 ghz & not 5 (which it may or may not be) How do I check so I can eliminate that? If that is the cause!
    Ta.

martinhutch

Is it trying to find the old router name? Mine does that randomly despite being told to look for the new one.

Your admin area on your router should tell you what your wifi is doing. But my Chromecast works fine with 2.4 and 5 active.

password upper/lowercase sensitive?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s got the new router name ok, password is case sensitive.

Grrr, again.

nixie

If it’s an older Chromecast that only works on 2.4ghz then the device you use to set it up also needs to be on the 2.4 GHz network. Best way to ensure this is to disable the 5 GHz network on the router temporarily and then setup the Chromecast. Once it’s setup and working you can turn the 5 GHz back on.

nixie

The issue is that the configuring device attempts to configure the Chromecast with network details it cannot use (the configuring device makes a private connection to the Chromecast to configure it).

nixie

Probably too late now but if you configure the new router with the same SSID and WPA password as the old one it saves loads of configuration hassle as all devices that have used the old network don’t realise anything has changed.

imn

I went through reconfiguring a Chromecast yesterday after changing router. Do factory reset by powering on and pressing and holding the button until LED turns white. The Home app didn’t want to play for setup, so use Chrome (but not in Private mode) to go to the setup. If you still have trouble log on to router admin page and check if 5GHz is used, and make sure Chromecast isn’t trying to use it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s now working & I’ve no idea how cos I haven’t done anything different apart from unplugging the Chromecast from the mains for the 5th time.

Thanks for the help anyway chaps.

spooky_b329

I have an CC Audio and its always been a fussy bugger.

However, as mentioned above, I’ve split my 2.4 and 5g wifi in the router settings, append the SSID names with 2 and 5, and use different passwords. Only give the 2g details to your devices.

The only time we run into issues is when visiting family etc log into the 5g and then can’t cast stuff to the telly/stereo.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Virgin TV engineer came around the other day to install a new TV box and router. I was out but upon leaving he told the wife that he had to move the Chromecast out of the way.

Found it yesterday unplugged from the telly with the UCB port hanging out and no longer works. Thanks a bunch!

Anyway, whilst trying to fix the old one I noticed it was playing silly buggers with the new router and WiFi password

phil5556

Maybe related, maybe not but my Chromecasts have both been dicking about this week. One needed a hard reset and the other after switching off and on a few times seems OK.
    Wondered if there’s been a dodgy update recently?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chromecast not working, grrr.’ is closed to new replies.