Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Chromebook GalliumOS
  • chvck
    Free Member

I know that chromebooks have a bit of a following on here but this may something of a rather longshot. I want to make my chromebook a bit more useful for myself (I want to do lightweight full stack webdev on it as well as some Go stuff) which basically means running linux in one form or another. I’ve tried Crouton and it’s a bit clunky but I’ve just come across GalliumOS and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it that they could share with me?

allthepies
    Free Member

Looks interesting. Currently typing this on an Acer C720 which will take GalliumOS. Tempted…

chvck
    Free Member

I totally forgot I posted this. I’m thinking that I’m going to take the plunge tomorrow so I’ll let you know how I get on!

chvck
    Free Member

I did it, it was pretty easy to do although required disassembly of my chromebook to remove the firmware read-write screw for my model but I’ve had to replace the keyboard previously and clearly managed to lose that screw anyway.
    It’s pretty fast/responsive and everything seems to work although I did have to remove chromium and install chrome in order to be able to sign in to the browser. Obviously it isn’t fully integrated into the Google ecosystem like chromiumOS is, it is just a straight linux distro optimised for chromebook after all. I’m gonna be keeping it for sure…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Chromebook GalliumOS’ is closed to new replies.