Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chrome spray paint any one have any good recommendations
  • elma
    Free Member

As in the title i’ve just been to price up getting some bits chrome plated and nearly fell over at the price.
    So has anyone had any good results with the spray cans or had a professional job done with a spray gun.

Any help appreciated

finishthat
    Free Member

I think some detail of the bits you want to make chrome like would help.
    Powder coat can be effective.
    The most important bit is the preparation for any process including real chrome – everything must be polished to perfection or the defects show .

Northwind

Chrome aerosols are ime all crap, they’re mostly just silver paint. Hycote do one that actually gives a really nice bright metal finish- not polished chrome, but something like polished steel. But you can’t clearcoat it and it’s really not tough so it’s not that practical.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

This maybe of no help but I watched a hot rod programme on Discovery called Mobsteel and they had a 50’s Yank car with tons of chrome which was to expensive to have re-done so they used a chrome painting system which turned out great, I wondered if this tech has filtered down to the home diy user yet?
    Might be worth looking at if you haven’t any other options?
    Think Mobsteel is on the History network now and I’m sure they’d offer advice if you emailed them?
    Matt.

elma
    Free Member

I’m after headlight trims and a bumper doing so they need to be able to withstand the weather. I can buy repro bits I’d like to stick to the originals if possible.
    I’ve been to the powder coasters and the chrome they do doesn’t appeal as it’s mors a silver colour.

If anyone knows a chromer could they send me their details as I’ve only had one quote as not many people want to do it anymore.

elma
    Free Member

I’ve seen that episode of mob steel and it looked great but I don’t think that paint system is a diy option and I haven’t seen anyone doing it in the uk.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s not an easy job, if you’re into model making and have an airbrush then you’ll have probably had a go at a convincing natural metal finish at some point.

Preparation is very important, a metal finish is very unforgiving of the slightest blemish and even then, metal effect paint isn’t very durable and doesn’t take well to lacquer.

For best results, spray a layer of a primary gloss colour onto your plastic, gently sand any blemishes with 1200 grade paper and recoat with gloss. Once dry, you can spray with chrome effect paint, but because you’re spraying gloss on top of gloss, there’s very little “key” for the top layer to attach to. Although you may find that the chrome paint will rub off to the touch.

ctk
    Free Member

I’ve seen a bike powdercoated with “chrome” paint, looked very good.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Customcreationpaints.co.uk , in St.Neots Cambridgeshire, their website has details.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

sorry double post

Speeder

Might be worth looking at chrome wrapping – I believe it’s quite effective

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chrome spray paint any one have any good recommendations’ is closed to new replies.