Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Christmas tree lights. A moan.
  • Harry_the_Spider

Why is the “Steady On” setting not the default?

Crawling under the tree and frantically pressing that little button whilst 200 LEDs strobe away is going to do me a mischief.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Look good from here son..

CountZero

Something I manage to avoid, by not having any decorations, tree or lights.

phiiiiil

It is on all the sets we have…

What gets me, though, is why you can have the pleasant gentle twinkling as part of the cycle of everything – including the headache inducing mega flashing modes – but not on its own.

I like the twinkling, but I can’t have it without having a disco for 7/8ths of the time. Boo.

tthew

Is it possible to get a (big) set that have proper random twinkly? I think you’d need a little capacitor with each bulb. All the current settings don’t quite do it for me.

Northwind

Ours have a memory at least so they come back on in the same mode.

@tthew, that seems like the most obvious setting but I guess it’s harder to do, or too subtle to catch the eye in shops? I’d like a 10% +/- twinkle rather than all the epilepsy modes…

What bugs me more i think is the irrational order of the modes. Fast flash, slow flash, faster flash, wtf?

bensales
    Free Member

And blue led lights should be banned from the outside of houses. They completely mess with my eyes. It’s like I can’t actually see them if I look directly at them.

onewheelgood

There are 12 days of Christmas. If you must display Christmas decorations, you should only do so on those 12 days.
    As to the OP’s question, yes, obviously the steady setting should be the default – just as it should be on bicycle rear lights.

maccruiskeen

There are 12 days of Christmas. If you must display Christmas decorations, you should only do so on those 12 days.

Thats correct. But due to a scheduling error one of those days is 24th of March. So we’re all going to have to take your decorations down after 11 days then put them back up again for a day. Soz.

DezB
    Free Member

There are 12 days of Christmas

Not according to my local Asda!

Northwind

onewheelgood – Member

OK, you do know that the 12 days of christmas start on christmas day though? (well- you need to fudge it a bit because the whole concept of what constitutes a day’s changed, but that’s the nearest modern equivalent). This is where taking down your decorations by the 6th January comes from.

Decorations before christmas are an advent thing. Advent starts at different times depending on what cult you’re in but it’s 4-6 weeks before christmas.

terrahawk
    Free Member

There are 12 days of Christmas. If you must display Christmas decorations, you should only do so on those 12 days

that’s the law is it?

Harry_the_Spider

yes.

Gunz
    Free Member

Arse making a point of ignoring Christmas

terrahawk
    Free Member

yes.

I love laws and the lawmakers that make them.

convert

Does anyone use the psychotic epilepsy modes? And the lack of default steady on. I suspect it’s a deliberate act of mind games by the Chinese makers to reduce our spirits and soften us up come the revolution. That and the lack of ability to make my breadmaker have a delay setting for dough are the sum of my life worries currently, so life is good!

phiiiiil

The crazy flashing modes are for people who don’t like their neighbours.

onewheelgood

OK, you do know that the 12 days of christmas start on christmas day though?

Of course. We used to stretch a point by putting the decorations up on the afternoon of Christmas Eve. Obviously felt pretty guilty about that.

Decorations before christmas are an advent wrong thing.

FTFY

Northwind

onewheelgood – Member

Decorations before christmas are an advent wrong thing.

Nah, that’s just bobbins frankly. Hanging the greens has pre-christian origins anyway, but since it was co-opted has always been linked with advent not with christmas day.

tenfoot

And blue led lights should be banned from the outside of houses. They completely mess with my eyes. It’s like I can’t actually see them if I look directly at them.

Air ambulance and police helicopters not too keen either as it makes flashing blues on emergency vehicles harder to spot at night time.

CountZero

Gunz – Member
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/arse-making-a-point-of-ignoring-christmas-20161213118946

Yeah, thanks for that; you’ve made a fundamental error, though.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Christmas tree lights. A moan.’ is closed to new replies.