Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Christmas present help – what compact digital camera?
  • catatemygoldfish
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m thinking of getting my OH a new digital camera to replace the one he got stolen on holiday and am just looking for suggestions if anyone has bought one recently and can recommend. Budget wise I’m only wanting to go up to about £150 and not looking for any fancy features as it’ll only be used on nights out, holiday snaps etc.

Any help much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Rockape63
    Free Member

So many to choose from, but a couple of key issues are the battery. make sure you get a lithium battery, which should be no problem at that budget. After that, the optical zoom is the next single most important feature. Make sure you get a minimum of 5x, but look for the best quality of lens available. Lots of review sites you can check out!

Finally, ignore the number of mega pics, they are sold as a big issue, but as long as you have at least 5mega pix, you will be fine. Although you’ll probably get 9 as standard these days.

cubemeup
    Free Member

you will get a smashing canon one for £150 or less. check out warehousedirect.com or .co.uk

CraigW
    Free Member

The Panasonic Lumix seem to be popular, with a decent optical zoom and quality lens etc. Though I’m not sure what model you can currently get for £150.

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

I bought this for work and I have to say it is a cracking little camera for the price. Needless to say it gets taken out on bike trips too 😉

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Digital-Cameras/buy-PENTAX-OPTIO-H90-Digital-Camera/622150?cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Feed-_-_Digital_Cameras-_-622150_PENTAX_OPTIO_H90&_$ja=tsid:8360%7Ccc:%7Cprd:OPTIO+H90%7Ccat:_Digital_Cameras

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

If you are prepared to be just a little geeky, it’s well worth looking at a serious review site like http://www.steves-digicams.com/ first. I have bought both my cameras (Canon) based on that one site, and can honestly say it’s not hard to hit above average photo quality for the price you want to pay, – provided you take care.

Likewise I’ve personally compared the output from many other folk’s garden-variety cameras which they chose because they sounded nice, were suitably shiny, or had jumped-up but rather pointles “MP” or “Zoom” statistics. – I’ve always been very pleased with my choice, informed by the above.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Christmas present help – what compact digital camera?’ is closed to new replies.