Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Christmas dinner help and advice please
  • greeng
    Free Member

If you use the handle end of a wooden spoon from the neck end of your turkey, you can separate the skin from the breast meat without breaking the skin. This means that you have a pocket covering the whole of each breast which you can then stuff with butter – could be garlic butter, herb butter etc. as you wish. This all melts during cooking, of course, but it really helps to keep the turkey breast juicy and prevent it from drying out.

Again – best done the day before.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

greeng – yeah I do that with my Sunday roast chickens – and stuff with a lemon for extra flavour 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Cook & carve turkey the night before, less panic about timing on the day, just cook veggies, PiBs etc, gravy.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cook & carve turkey the night before

Nooooooooo!

I want the cooking meat smell filling the house all morning 🙂

AndyRT
    Free Member

The best solutionL

Nigella Lawson’s book: Feast

It has a huge section on Christmas, and no silly pine scented sugar or such like from a chef/chemist

grievoustim
    Free Member

My top tip – the bird can be rested for as long as you cooked it – wrap it up in foil and it stays warm. This way you have loads of room in the oven to cook everything else – I found this approach much easier last year

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah that is what I am planning on doing – will give myself 3/4hr to cook the other oven bitsand to make up a gravy from the juices after the bird is removed 🙂

grum
    Free Member

grievoustim
    Free Member

Last year I made my gravy using homemade chicken stock from the freezer, a bottle of dry cider and red currant jelly.

Best

Gravy

Ever

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Christmas dinner help and advice please’ is closed to new replies.