Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Chris King BB users – longevity
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anyone using a CK BB? specifically the stainless steel one?

ive had it now coming up to 3 years soon, Id expect around 6000 miles (only MTB and mostly peak grit and shit)

how long should I expect it to last? will it just keep going?

I regrease it every month using the injector tool (very satisfying)

but I’m finding it needs doing more and more often, if I don’t it feels quite gritty by spinning by the finger, as soon as I regrease it feels great again, is it a sign its on its way out, or is it pretty normal for it to feel that way after a month?

BadlyWiredDog

The seals might be going I guess. You can buy new ones with the snap-rings that hold them in place. Maybe clean the bearings out a re-grease them at the same time. I’ve got two sets on the go, one got swapped for an XT when I couldn’t stop it making noises, the other is still going strong.

Life expectancy hard to say, the Peak – as you know – is seriously destructive, but if there’s grit getting past the seals, changing them – or maybe even trying a different, thicker grease – would be the first thing I’d look at.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers BWD

the seals as in those little black rubber things that pop out when you regrease?

ive not had them in for about 2 years lol, they kept popping out everytime I regreased using the tool, so I just sacked them off completely (some folks on here did the same)

with it being greased regularly I kinda thought they would matter too much

as for grinding paste, yep indeed and that’s exactly the noise it makes when its in need of doing

it still feels like new when regreased so guess its still ok, next time ill take the silver piece off so I can flush the bearings completely, then regrease, though ultimately this is what the grease gun does

tomhoward

Mines 3years, pretty much. I’ve never touched it. Still like new

rone

On my MTB – 5000 miles – I’ve had two have problems around that mileage. As has a mate. Both replaced under warranty.

However I emailed CK and they said they would expect it to last longer.

dans160
    Free Member

I’ve had one fall apart in my hands – replaced under warranty. Another lunched itself big time. All installed correctly using the proper tools, torque settings and with a faced BB shell. Neither had done many miles The one I had on my downhill bike lasted forever but that bike was very, very well looked after and lived indoors. Not buying one again. Cheap Shimano SLX/XT all the way from now on.

Their headsets on the other hand are fantastic and represent excellent second hand bargains as new they are frighteningly expensive! Their hubs are items of joy!

Dan

mattbee

Serviced once in 2.5 years, still going strong.

jameso

My ceramic King has worn to the point that the grease tool pulls the NDS bearing+race out with it, that’s after 2 years / 3500 mainly good weather miles on one bike and ~500 winter SS use on the other bike. Regreased a few times and strip-cleaned before regreasing a few times also. Still works but has play, needs new NDS races now (almost always the NDS of HT2s that die first it seems).

It’s a great BB in many ways, lovely to work on but the sealing isn’t very effective at all ime, it could go from clean to filthy inside in a weekend at times or a week quite easily, if you don’t keep on top of regular regreasing they can seize up or wear fairly quick. So, better life than Shimano etc and it did the job I bought it for (lasting a 2500+ mile trip w/o service worries) but it’s been removed from the MTB now, awaiting a home more suited to its sealing ability – a mostly fair-weather tourer maybe. Not bad but not great, not the elusive durable HT2 BB that I hoped for. CBA with regreasing a BB >2x a month in the winter so it’s not for me.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

jameso – my NDS race fell out too yesterday when I took the gxp plastic cspindle sleeve out, Ive plugged it back in and cant really feel any side to side movement, but assuming its almost fell out, does that means its buggered?

jameso

Not buggered just worn past tolerances the close that stop the it potentially falling apart on a grubby garage floor or loosing bearings as you service it. Mine seems to be at that point or further down the line and it makes getting rid of play completely difficult/impossible. I have a track record of getting through HT2 BBs fast so it’s still a durable option relative to the others, expensive error to make though if left too long.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah I cant grumble at the amount of rides its done tbh, all in peak district type conditions through thick and thin a few times a week

just don’t want to be mid ride and the bb just collapse in the middle of no where lol

nothing fell out yesterday in terms of ball bearings, but I was a little shocked that the inner race just fell out pretty easily with not much force, but that said it was gritty as hell so did need greasing….its all gone back together and isn’t making any weird noises with a lot of force so I’m hoping it will carry on for the time being

I’m thinking of getting some new cranks that require a new 30mm bb anwyays, but cant afford them just yet so hoping it will last a few more months

BadlyWiredDog

the seals as in those little black rubber things that pop out when you regrease?

Yeah, they sit under a thin metal snap-ring. I’d agree the sealing’s not great and to be honest, the latest Shimano BBs are cheap and nutritious, or they last okay anyway compared to the early ones. I’m not sure I’d bother with CK again tbh.

Wally

No seals or metal ring for me either. Regular regreased is a pleasure, going strong for a year of regular riding.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Ive still got the snap ring in place just not the black seal, it popped out a few times then lost its shape so i never bothered again its been free of that about 2 years

Just gonna keep an eye on it, it is very satisfying regreasing it though i must say

rone

The greasing too has popped my seal out a couple of times.

I personally don’t think the greasing tool gets in all the right areas.

adsh
    Free Member

My ceramic King has worn to the point that the grease tool pulls the NDS bearing+race out with it

This now happens with my first CK BSA BB – don’t know if it’s stainless or not.

I’ve replaced the seals and circlips and it still spins fine with no play.

It’s had near constant MTB use since 2012 on my designated mud bike.

postierich
    Free Member

killed 2 King BBs on my SS but one on another bike has lasted 5 years and I have greased with the proper tool with those flimsy seals popping out every time!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Chris King BB users – longevity’ is closed to new replies.