Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • chris king BB sounding wet and gritty after 4-5 months riding
  • AndyPaice
    Free Member

got a CK bottom bracket just before xmas as they are supposed to last for years. Had the cranks off today and the bearings are sounding wet and gritty already (ride in the dark peak so plenty of gritty mud).

Should the bearings be like this already, given that it’snot been jet washed etc. Is the re-greasing tool worth getting?

little disappointing that it’s gone like this already

CaptainCrash
    Free Member

….provided they’re serviced regularly 😉 yes tool is worth getting, you can’t re-grease the bearings properly without it….

AndyPaice
    Free Member

so I can’t just leave it alone for a year and hope for the best 😉 bloody bikes need looking after all the time eh :-O

DickBarton

What frame have you got? I reckon you have got dirty water/mank in via the frame and it is worked its way down to the BB and just sat there and festered…I’m going to also guess that the bearings are ok and it is something else rotating against the mank that is making the noise…

Remove BB and give it a good clean, also clean out the BB shell and then regularly remove seatpost and allow bike to ‘dry’…

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I’ve recently moved from a spesh interrupted seat tube frame to a ‘traditional’ frame with a full length seat tune so that could be a valid point. When the cranks were out there did seem to be water drops on the axle

May have to remove the seat post after a ride.

I tried to get the black plastic seals off the edge of the bearings to check if there was crap under them but couldn’t figure out how to get them out?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘chris king BB sounding wet and gritty after 4-5 months riding’ is closed to new replies.