Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • chris king bb problems?
  • muppet4
    Free Member

Has anyone had any problems with chris king bb,s?
    Mine has been back twice now with rock in the cranks (not side to side play)and the drive side cup even rocks on the xt crank, i have been told that there is no other issues and its just mine.

Also spoke to the guy at evolution who told me that he had tried it and that it was fine – turns out though my local shop had not sent it as they would take it back unless i sent my frame to them for them to check the combo – so basically they lied to my face!

willsimmons
    Free Member

Is this not just wear in the bearings? I have had a Chris King BB for 18 months or so and periodically I have to readjust the preload on my cranks (XTR) to ‘take-up’ the movement. Bearings still run pretty smooth though. As I recall you have to do this with their hubs as well.

willsimmons
    Free Member

Having re-read your post are you meaning you can move the cranks side to side? As in non-bearing related side to side movement? That is a weird one. Could this just be all of the manufacturing tolerances being the extreme to one another and accumulating as not the right fit? Funnily enough I have the opposite problem on a KCNC BB which is just too wide for my XT cranks to sit on the splines in the correct position. We’re only talking a few mm but it is still annoying

plecostomus
    Free Member

I have this issue too mine rocks on the bearings like normal bbs wear I spoke to evolution they suggested putting in one of the 3 shims you get on the axel and then re pre load it I have done this and with one spacer it rocks still I’m to put in a second or third tonight and then see about it. The bearings are still smooth to turn e olution haven’t been too helpful (as usual) and I work in the trade! It’s getting to be the worst bit of money I’ve spent on king products, I’m debating just to run a shimano bb again!

muppet4
    Free Member

i should have stayed with my xt, sounds like we have the same problem, keep me informed how you get on

plecostomus
    Free Member

Well I’ve just put the third spacer/shim on it and there’s no play I’ll take it for a ride to work tomorrow to work before riding on Sunday and let you know. I’ve put the spacers on the driveside.

muppet4
    Free Member

is this shim a very thin white shim?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Ha, cheapo bearings in superstar shells still working!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘chris king bb problems?’ is closed to new replies.