Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Chris King
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

Is Chris Kings gear worth the dollar?
    I’ve seen his no threadsets and everybody raves about them so im on the edge of ordering one?
    but temptation is leading me into buying some of his hubs aswell?
    worth it?

clubber
    Free Member

To summarise the million identical threads

– yes, they’re indestructible so good vfm. Mine has lasted since the last ice age.
    – my £20 stuff works just as well so they’re a waste of money
    – they’re for showing off in the car park
    – no they’re not. You’re just jealous because you can’t afford it.

[thread closed]

Wookster

Got the head sets no issues one been on three bikes now. Saying that hope one was no prob either.

Hubs are lush almost bought a set recently then realised I could buy a whole set of hope hoops with the rims I wanted for less thenthe hubs alone so I didnt. Still on the wish list though!!!

forgotmename
    Free Member

Yep worth every penny.

gee
    Free Member

Worth the cash – yes, especially the used headsets for £40-50 on here.

Hubs – stupidly expensive but also very durable.

GB

snowpaul
    Free Member

ok,

the headsets are great APART from the crap O ring that is used to attach to the steerer – it moves when under load = creaks and scores steerer tubes = not cool. That happened to me and it was on a 80mm hardtail NOT big forked bike…

New top cap design is meant to stop this as its basically the orig ahead design that king wouldnt license…. however its 25 quid plus to buy it.

They are long lasting, very pretty and desirable… would I buy a new one – honestly prob not as there are lots which are just as good out there and cheaper ( even at trade prices) – BUT they are pretty.

Hubs – very pretty – had mates have probs with the bearing but tbh most of my mates have had probs with every wheelset they have ever owned – I like the look of them but i use Dt240s….

If you want a used pewtar h/s I am selling one…

paul

Yet1man

I’ve got both a headset and a hub set (but on different bikes) the headset is pretty indestructible and still as sweet as when I first bought it (3-4 years ago) but tbh I couldn’t recommend the hubs (well the rear anyway) as they do need a fair bit of maintenance.

If you get this done at a shop, after you’ve had this done twice, you’ve virtually spent the equivalent of buying a new Hope hub !! (which needs very very little maintenance and what ever it does need can easily be done at home).

I (really) like bike bling but still wouldn’t by another set and have got Hope hubs on all my other bikes and have even considered selling the CK’s and replacing them with Hopes.

Northwind

Have to admit the whole shenanigans with the headsets put me right off them. “No, it’s not just because of the licence, we definately think this is the best way, we promise…”. I’ll accept a little bit of marketing BS but it’s nice when companies don’t treat their customers like morons, let alone being so overt about it. Piss poor really.

Though their stuff is very shiny.

gee
    Free Member

I don’t get the maintenance issues – I just pull my rear apart for a clean and grease every now and again and it’s fine??

the_lecht_rocks

Gee me too.

njee20
    Free Member

I had problems with mine, the rear hub needed more attention than anything else I’ve used, which considering it was heavier and more expensive wasn’t great. It would often come loose mid ride. The bearings seized several times too, ok you can pop the seals out and clean them up, shouldn’t have to though.

Enough people haven’t had any problems suggests I was just unlucky, the front one was fine! They look nice though, and the headsets are great.

dang100
    Free Member

Gee – “I just pull my rear apart for a clean and grease every now and again and it’s fine”

I’m taking Singletrackworld off my lunchtime reading list

woodsman
    Free Member

I’ve got three headsets on bikes, only one I bought new and that is the oldest, 12 years and now out of warranty. The secondhand headsets are worth 45-50 – I’ve just bought one. I wouldn’t buy any other headset, but you maybe ought to consider secondhand if worried about the outlay.

jimification
    Free Member

I only have experience of one Chris King product: I fitted an 1 1/8″ King headset to my Orange Sub 5 in 2002 and it’s still on there after thousands of miles and 9 winters. Last summer I stripped it down thinking it was about time I cleaned and regreased it but it was clean as a whistle inside. It’s never needed tightening either. Not many products around that give that level of service.

As the other chap said though, Hope hubs are great for massively less money than the King ones. I’d go with Hope hubs and a King headset.

the_lecht_rocks

wow – 9 winters without a clean / degrease / regrease !!! 😯

i usually clean mine out every 6 months or so….. pop the circlip, lift the seal and lube it all back up again.

takes about 5 minutes per race….

time well spent imo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Chris King’ is closed to new replies.