Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Chris Hoy Velodrome – Parking
  • franksinatra

Not being native to Glasgow I wondered what the parking arrangements are like in the area? Will be driving over next Sunday for Track World cup and trying to plan if we need to park and ride, park locally and if we need to allow loads of time for this.

Ta

GavinB

I’ve been looking in to this one too.

400-odd spaces at the place, but I’d assume that most/all of those will be reserved for teams and officials etc. Apparently there is a lot of parking at Celtic Park too, although its not the easiest part of town to get to.

The issue we’ve got is that we’re there on Saturday night, and really don’t fancy getting the train, as we’d have to change at Central around 11pm. Having grown up in Glasgow, unless things have drastically changed, that’s not recommended.

2tyred

The car park at the velodrome’s massive, so I’d be surprised if you didn’t get in there. I’m going next Friday night and will be taking the car so the kids can get into their jammies on the way home!

The roads surrounding it have all been rebuilt so I’m not sure what the story is with on-street parking (the streets surrounding it were always fine for parking for Celtic park, as long as you were prepared to pay a ne’er-do-well £2 to watch your motor for you mister), but there’s plenty of places to park on the Springfield Rd side of London Rd and it’d be a 2 minute walk from there.

London Road between the velodrome and Celtic Park is currently blocked off, so I guess buses that would normally go that way will have been re-routed. Dalmarnock is probably the closest train station, not sure if its open (as its being rebuilt I think).

Its actually great to ride there from the city centre – brand new segregated cycle paths all the way from Glasgow Green, and loads of covered bike parking right outside the door.

I was riding at the track this morning – loads of workies in setting up the temp seating, big screen etc, then the German national squad arrived, got set up and started warming up as we were finishing. That Forstemann guy’s thighs are probably visible from space.

maccruiskeen

just to add an additional query – I’ll be there for the full day on the Sun – the website for the venue doesn’t mention (that I’ve noticed) anything about what refreshments might be available on site

2tyred

There’s a good cafe downstairs next to the entrance.

At the track champs the other weekend they had additional event catering upstairs which everyone reckoned was a bit crap. Might be a bit more of that, as the crowd capacity is going to be bigger for the world cup.

I’d be taking a big picnic, but I’m a notorious tightwad and a fussy eater to boot.

franksinatra

The websites for both the venue and the event are rubbish, they really should put a bit more effort in there. They also don’t have a contact number that is easy to find and haven’t replied to my email asking them about parking.

Not a great start…

maccruiskeen

Cheers 2Tyred – all handy info as theres not too many people who will have stepped through the door before next weekend.

2tyred

Quit yer moaning franksinatra! 🙂

I think they’re doing a pretty decent job so far – its a MASSIVE place (the velodrome is only part of it), and most of the staff only started there the day it opened less than 2 months ago, so they’re still learning and they’ve been very keen and friendly from the start. Its opened ages before the games it was built for, and the public are encouraged to get involved. There’s bound to be some teething troubles, but we’ve just been handed a world-class facility on our doorstep and invited in to use it.

Best thing to do is phone them – they’ve been nothing other than very helpful whenever I’ve done so.

GavinB

Agreed frank.

Just had a look myself, and http://www.glasgowvelodrome.co.uk/glasgow-velodrome-parking/ has a whiff of tumbleweed about it, given that the ‘Latest News’ was last updated in August.

jimbocube
    Free Member

It would be good to know for certain if there are enough spaces to park as i will have 3 kids with me on Saturday and don’t want to be walking around a place i don’t know.

franksinatra

ts a MASSIVE place (the velodrome is only part of it), and most of the staff only started there the day it opened less than 2 months ago

The problem with that though is the olympics were MUCH bigger and before I went to events I was able to read up to date information about the venue including where to park, if I could eat there and what facilities there were for kids. This is an international event and they really should have everything you need to know online. I’m sure they are helpful on the phone but they don’t seem to advertise their number!

franksinatra

bump for fresh faces. Anyone got any more knowledge about parking in the area?

kcr
    Free Member

I believe the website listed above is unofficial, and is nothing to do with Glasgow Life who run the venue.

The official site is here:
    http://www.emiratesarena.co.uk/

No information about parking in the visitor information, however:
    http://www.emiratesarena.co.uk/visitor-info/Pages/default.aspx

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Parking in the area is generally free and within a ten minute walk if you can’t get parked on site, so you won’t struggle. If I can get tickets I’m going to cycle down, of course, and make the most of the few cycle lanes they have built that just vanish as soon as you leave line-of-sight of the velodrome (it’s good to have cycle lanes in the background on the tv coverage, isn’t it?)!

GavinB

Sorry, but can’t help but think this is a joke. A week before a world cup event, and there is no information on parking at the event – nada? I’ve tried emailing and sending a message to the suggested Twitter address for the world cup, but no replies on either.

I’ve been to the last 3 world cup events in Manchester btw, so have a reasonable expectation of what to expect.

nwallace
    Free Member

There is a simple rule to parking in Glasgow.

If official parking capacity is below what is required required then a group of Neds will offer to “Mind your car mister” for a fiver in some abandoned waste land they have “borrowed” for the day.

Chewing the Fat did a sketch around this involving a “Big Dug” who “Cannae put fires out” but I can’t find it on You Tube.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Chris Hoy Velodrome – Parking’ is closed to new replies.