Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Chris Hoy to put his name to a range of bikes!
  • kevin1911

Just read that Chris Hoy will be teaming up with Evans to create a range of bikes. Not in any way inspired by Boardman I presume.

Seems the range will be called HOY.

Wonder if the first models will be the HOY You!, the HOY Watchout!, and the HOY Polloi.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s amazing that no professional cyclist before Chris Boardman ever put his name to a range of bikes eh?

kevin1911

It’s amazing that no professional cyclist before Chris Boardman ever put his name to a range of bikes eh?

Er, ok fair point. But did any of them team up with a national chain of bike shops for exclusive resale rights?

IHN

I think the difference may be that Boardman is a brand/manufacturer in it’s own right, run by CB himself, whereas the Hoy stuff may just be a naming deal (like the Vicky P bikes for the laydees)

Lummox

Like Victoria Pendleton has done recently too?

Why not? Coin in a bit on their well earned reputation.

Waiting on wiggo’s BSO to hit asdas forecourt

TiRed

Boardman is a brand/manufacturer in it’s own right

Maybe, but geometry is from Giant and bikes are from Merida. They are, however, excellent bikes.

kevin1911

Didn’t realise Vicky P has done the same.

I wasn’t suggesting for one minute that they shouldn’t or aren’t entitled to.

vinnyeh

Definitely looks like the Pendleton route rather than Boardman to me…

(caption) Hoy poses with one of his new bikes

jota180
    Free Member

You know how some sports types get lottery funding etc. in order to be able train full time?

If they later start making good money out of the sport, should they have to start paying it back? bit like student loans.
    Maybe they do, I dunno

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Er, ok fair point. But did any of them team up with a national chain of bike shops for exclusive resale rights?

It’s not like Merxx, Lemond, et al. who’ve done it sat down and hand brazed the frames themselves.

Maybe, but geometry is from Giant and bikes are from Merida. They are, however, excellent bikes.

I thought they were designed by the Greek composite genious bloke who did the BC bikes? And road bike geometry is hardly a closely guarded secret, 73/73 +/-0.5deg and a headtube lentgh to suit your marketing.

druidh
    Free Member

Commenting on the process of establishing his brand, Sir Chris said: “I’m really enjoying building my brand from scratch. There are so many aspects that need to mesh perfectly and finding that balance has been very exciting and rewarding. I’ve been working very hard on developing the brand values as well as the visual features, which will appear on all of the bikes.”

Sir Chris is working closely with the bike design teams at Evans Cycles, driving the project with considerable technical input into frame geometry, tubing, aesthetics, and specification, as well as road testing the models himself.

kevin1911

It’s not like any of the others who’ve done it sat down and hand brazed the frames themselves.

Apart from Ernesto Colnago?

EDIT – No fair TINAS – you edited that 😉

vinnyeh

I particularly liked:

I want to help more people experience the power and enjoyment of cycling, as well as demystifying it and making it more accessible to all.
    ‘That’s why I decided to create a brand that embodies this vision and my passion,
    ‘I’m excited to be working with Evans to deliver a new brand that can share my enjoyment of cycling with a whole new audience.’

damo2576
    Free Member

I think the difference may be that Boardman is a brand/manufacturer in it’s own right, run by CB himself

Do you really think that?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Apart from Ernesto Colnago?

Noted, but he doesn’t build them to order anymore does he, they pop out of a production line like everyone elses.

EDIT – No fair TINAS – you edited that

In my defence, I edited before I read your comment, I didn’t even know who Ernasto Colnago was. I was thinking more allong the lines of riders who I thought of as cashing in on success rather than retiring to build frames.

chakaping
    Free Member

Waiting on wiggo’s BSO to hit asdas forecourt

Bit harsh considering recent events. And I think it was a BP forecourt.

Good luck to Sir Chris, I’d do the same thing myself if I was at that stage of my career.

cynic-al
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

It’s not like Merxx, Lemond, et al. who’ve done it sat down and hand brazed the frames themselves.

Really? I’ve not heard that claimed for either of those 2, or any other ex-pros I can think of.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Really? I’ve not heard that claimed for either of those 2, or any other ex-pros I can think of.

That was my point, they’ve all to some extent or other stuck their name on the downtube of a bike to cash in on success. some of th eposters seemed to think it was a bad thing that Hoy was doing it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah, I read it the other way.

*turns up sarcasm-o-meter*

jameso

I think the difference may be that Boardman is a brand/manufacturer in it’s own right, run by CB himself, whereas the Hoy stuff may just be a naming deal

A few years ago I sat in a meeting with the guys behind the Boardman brand when they were looking for a partner in the bike industry, much like the Hoy – Evans relationship. Sucessful rider (or anyone else really) with a love of bikes and something to invest wants to start a brand and teams up with someone with product / brand and retail experience, makes sense I’d say.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Chris Hoy to put his name to a range of bikes!’ is closed to new replies.