Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Chop saw/ Mitre Saw
  • bearnecessities

I need to buy one, tomorrow!

I don’t really know what I’m looking for – one that’s not going to be subject to a lot of use, but has all the various angle-stuff that could be needed.

Any suggestions please?

This looks pathetically good value for money?

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/saws/multipurpose_saws/Evolution-210mm-Multipurpose-Compound-Mitre-Saw-11227748

EDIT: Saying that, so does this. Help?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-rage3-s-210mm-sliding-compound-mitre-saw-240v/60839

trout
    Free Member

Better option would be Rage 3

bearnecessities

Thanks Trout, I edited!

Longevity aside, is there anything to miss out on with that fella?

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got the rage sliding mitre. It gives a much bigger cut than the non sliding. Very happy with it. The multi blade works well.

trout
    Free Member

It will do your house refurb and still be able to cut through a steel RSJ
    and assorted metals at the end .

bearnecessities

As I’ve said before, I love this place.

Cheers Trout & Nick. Will nip down Screwfix tomorrow.

footflaps

The cheaper ones (i.e. £100) are fine but not that accurate, you’ll find their preset 45 degree cuts aren’t exactly 45 degrees etc. Fine for cutting up timber, just not for cabinet making.

I’ve got a cheapo one and use it mainly for cutting fire wood!

wither2000
    Free Member

Amazon have got a manufacturer-refurb B-grade stock sliding Rage3 for £66.98

mike399
    Free Member

Not used their chop saw, but I have an Evolution plaster whisk, and i’m pleasantly suprised how good it is for the money. They have a seconds/graded outlet on fleabay as well as Amazon – worth a look.

Northwind

When I need one I pinch my brother’s Rage 3, it is brilliant. Like cheating.

timbur
    Free Member

wither – got a link? Can’t find a slider for that money.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That Rage3 will do you grand BN. Sounds a bit wankerish, but don’t be blasé with it. You shouldn’t use it to cut things that don’t sit square against the fence. Never have your holding hand too close to the blade. Also consider getting a cheapo work bench to which to mount it with small coach bolts. They’re much easier to use at waist – chest height rather than on the ground. Enjoy using it – sliding mitre saws are awesome.

(Sorry…heard of too many chopsaw injuries over the years…they’re horrible!)

bearnecessities

DD, advice taken in good faith thanks 😀

ptrockymountain
    Free Member

I’ve had the rage 3 for 2 years and have been well impressed.

rb
    Free Member

You can hire them.

righog
    Free Member

The cheaper ones (i.e. £100) are fine but not that accurate, you’ll find their preset 45 degree cuts aren’t exactly 45 degrees etc. Fine for cutting up timber, just not for cabinet making.

I’ve got a cheapo one and use it mainly for cutting fire wood!

^^^ agreed, when doing a piece that needs to be precise I always do a couple of test cuts to check the set up, especially as said with the cheaper saws.

and really good advice from DD, I got a bit too familiar with mine and was very close to losing a couple of fingers, I was extremely lucky, I still have flashbacks of taking my glove off and the relief that my fingers were still attached ( mangled but attached)

trail_rat
    Free Member

If your doing any finishings with the evolution my top tip is ignore the markings and get a trend anglefix and set the blade to that

I have the evolution and have learnt the hard way to ignore. The markings are nothing like accurate. My elu flip saws still alot closer and it was made in 1992

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh and as i said to rusty mac the other week , for general diy i would buy the 210 fury 6 where you can lock it down and use it as a rudimentary table saw, thats why ive ended up with the elu as i needed to cut sheet more often than i thought i would

wither2000
    Free Member

Looks like the cheap Rage3-slider refurb on Amazon been sold – £99.36 is the cheapest I can find there at the moment. Seller was EvoOutlet – If you’re not in a hurry they do come up cheap at times – I picked one up a couple of weeks ago for £49.99. Its been good for chopping firewood and much safer than the circular saw I was using.

footflaps
    ourmaninthenorth

What all those guys said. Esp the advantages of a sliding saw and also the value of being very, very careful.

(Evolution Stealth for me, which was a discounted “special edition”. I’m also pretty sure that a guy from evolution used to post on here – Google will help you there.)

woody74

Funnily enough I was thinking about this yesterday. Just got a rage 3 from Ebay for £66. Looks like the same company that is on Amazon.

Alphabet

I’ve got a Rage 3. No problems or issues other than the laser guide having packed up.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“No problems or issues other than the laser guide having packed up. “

your not missing owt anyway.

that was the doohicky i mentioned last night – 99 quid in bnq

picked up one of them off gumtree locally for 100 quid , 22 years old and motor still sounds smoother than my 2 year old evolution , blade even runs square to the table – which my evolution didnt till i modified it. flips over and becomes a table saw too

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Chop saw/ Mitre Saw’ is closed to new replies.