Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Choosing the correct length Reverb Q
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

Thinking about getting a Reverb for my 2011 Spec Camber (so non steath), but am having a real brain fog when it comes to determining the correct length to buy.

My current post is 400mm & when riding I have 245mm of post showing. My frame also has a min requirement of 100mm for the post insertion. I reckon I’ll definitely need a shorter post than 400mm, so was looking at the 380mm 125mm drop, but not sure if that’s short enough.

I think what’s throwing me out is that at present, when I drop my current post as far as it will go (due to kink in seat tube), there is still 180mm of post showing which for me is still a little too high.

Anyone have any useful tips?

jsync

Hi,

I had a 355 x 100mm on my larget 2011 camber, I think I could have easily for a 380 x 125mm in there.

Del

so with the post as far in as it will go you have 400-180=220mm inserted in the frame, so that’s the longest it can be.
    maximum length for ride height and still fit in the frame is 245+220=465mm.
    you require a minimum length of 245+100=345mm to get your saddle at the correct height and meet minimum insertion requirement.
    you could get a LEV, have a static cable, and an extra inch sir 8)

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Is that 245mm from top of seat tube to centre of saddle rails ?

If so, then according to the above chart, you could install a 380mm Reverb with only 50mm of the main body (E) sitting above the top of the seat tube, which would leave 135mm in your frame. You’d better double check that, but it sounds ideal to me.

I installed a new Reverb a week back. My original post had 270mm extension between top of seat tube and rails. I went with a 420mm Reverb and I have about 80mm of (E) above the top of seat tube, which means I have 145mm inside the seat tube (F). You would probably get away with a 420mm too, but in my very recent experience, you need a bit of the main body (E) showing to attached the hose guide too, otherwise it might rub on the main seal collar and seat tube clamp bolt.

**Del – I don’t think you’ve taken the seal collar (D) into account.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Handy chart that, thanks Jsync.

@DiscJockey, yes, the 245mm is from top of seat tube to centre of saddle rails, give or take the odd mm or two.

Reckon 135mm of post in the frame would work as min is 100mm & the kink is a bit below that. But as you say, will double check.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Just in case it’s not obvious, you need to consider where you’ll get that 245mm length from with the Reverb. The ‘G’ measurement on that chart shows you the max length the Reverb can achieve when inserted as far as possible in the seat tube (pushed right down so the screw on seal ring touches the frame/clamp).

So in your case, the 380mm version has a ‘G’ of 195 at full extension. So for you to achieve 245mm, you’ll need to have 50mm less inserted in the seat tube, giving you an ‘F’ value of 145mm, which is perfect. You’d get away with a 355 version too, but I’d go for the longer version to leave the max amount inside the frame….

davewalsh
    Free Member

So, the minimum length seatpost required to achieve 100mm in the frame is 345mm and the distance from the saddle rails to seatpost kink is 465 ?

They’ll all fit. Buy the cheapest !

DiscJockey
    Free Member

So, the minimum length seatpost required to achieve 100mm in the frame is 345mm

I think that’s correct. You subtract ‘F’ from ‘A’ to obtain the max length between frame and rails. So in your case, that’s 355mm – 100mm = 255mm which gives you a cm extra. But it does sound a bit near the limit. Imagine you swap frame and the new one has a slightly shorter seat tube…you’ll wish you’d got the 380mm version.

the distance from the saddle rails to seatpost kink is 465 ?

We don’t know where your kink is ! Only you know that 😉

devash
    Free Member

The 380mm one will be fine. I have a Camber too and was toying with the idea of buying a dropper post so did a load of research on sizes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Choosing the correct length Reverb Q’ is closed to new replies.