Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Choosing a smart phone and ability to run OS maps…
  • strike
    Free Member

The time has finally arrived to get ride of my old Nokia 6301 phone….

So, I want to get a smart phone and these are my ‘wants’:

– latest model (within reason) ie don’t want to get something which uses old tech/about to be replaced
    – robust
    – large screen
    – ability to run OS maps/.gpx files/record routes
    – ability to mount on bars/stem

I know next to nothing about the above, so some pointers would be good – perhaps my requirement in one phone are moon on a stick! Can I run OS maps, gpx files etc and not have to pay at the same time for connection?

Thanks-in-advance

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Garmin 800 and a phone?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As I understand it, for offline you can use something like AlpineQuest with mobile atlas creator/memory maps. Haven’t delved into it myself yet, someone might be able to give you more info.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

mmtracker app (if its still available), costs £5 to be able to follow and record tracks.
    Memory map qct files.

Memory map do produce their own app, but MMtracker is nicer.

Mackem

Viewranger plus any reasonable Android phone. (I like my Motorola Defy plus, some people dont like them)

binners

I’m using OutSide on an iphone

It downloads the required OS maps onto your phone so you don’t need a signal. Oh… and its free

micky
    Free Member

I use Samsung Gaxaxy Europa smartphone on PAYG for MTB. £40.00. Unlimited data on 3 and turns iself into an internet hotspot so you can get unlimited internet on the go on other devices. You have to top up £15.00 a month for the unlimited data though. Great for when camping etc. I think its fantastic. Use it for GPS and mapping routes. Why would you want a big screen if it’s bar mounted? I just turn mine on and chuck it in my pack.

philfive
    Free Member

i use the memory map App on the iphone. for £10.47 you can get 25000 sq km of OS 1:50000 mapping. upload GPX tracks and follow them, download the map sections before setting off and you have offline maps.

MarkN
    Free Member

Another vote for MMtracker.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Choosing a smart phone and ability to run OS maps…’ is closed to new replies.