Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • choose my next hardtail…
  • Joeb
    Free Member

Hello, first time on here for a long time, but looking for a bit of advice. I’ve decided I ‘need’ a new bike…

Currently riding an Armadillo, with requisite big tyres and 120 mm bomber AMs (QR). The forks are fine, but a bit flexy, and the only other thing worth saving are the brakes.

It’s been great, but, I’ve come to the opinion it’s too long to be good at jumping (something I love but am a bit rubbish at) the angles are pretty steep and there’s very little standover: I’m 6 foot on 19in frame, it’s mostly because the bottom bracket is 14 inches off the ground without me sagging the forks. I also have pretty long arms, and I think the steep angles mean that I can’t get it long enough with he saddle up. However, I like it’s speed, rigidity and unbreakability. I’ve toyed with the idea of adding new forks / wheels.

I’m still thinking about full suss, but it’ll probably be another tough hartail, with a lower bottom bracket and slacker angles. I’d really like a 20 mm hub at the front, and possibly something like a pike or is anything newer better. A custom build might be more appropriate, but a complete bike would probably be more economiocal if anything exists.

If you’re still reading after all that, you must have an opinion. What do you reckon? I’m pretty tight so anything considered.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Choice of:

SC Chameleon: Go and check them out, sizing is really on the small side
    Pace RC 305: More XC but still plently stiff enough
    Cove Stiffee: Slackest head angle, but all that own them seem to love them!

Unless you go steel, which means more options. Pikes are great forks.

the_lecht_rocks

budget ?

Ti456 with 15mm bolt through Van 32 RLC’s.

a pure trail weapon.

Joeb
    Free Member

Budget, less than a grand all. So it rules out that any exotic metals, but not a steel 456 (if you could buy them). By the way, is that top tube bent?

I quite like the idea of a stiffee, and hadn’t really thought it for some reason.

Should say, it still need to be reasonable uphill, my favourite ride at the moment starts with a three hour climb. If you put an adjustable fork on the front of the stiffee, I assume thats possible. I used to love locking down my Z1 FRs, but they weighed a ton and weren’t really too great otherwise.

Joeb
    Free Member

Or perhaps the solution is to stick a 24″ wheel on the back! Sort out all my issues in one go!!!

ro63rt
    Free Member

Checkout this years Marin Rocky Ridge if you can stretch the budget another £100. Mine is way better than I thought it was going to be. I swapped the brakes to XT’s, my LBS kindly done it free of charge. For the money the spec is really good value.

http://www.marin.co.uk/2009/bikedetail.php?ModNo=3972-1F

the_lecht_rocks

aye it’s deliberately bent – provides a leaf spring suspension effect, i’ve been told 🙂

nickc

provides a leaf spring suspension effect, i’ve been told

You’ve been fed a line then…

Wouldn’t choose the Cham if you want slacker angles, as it’s pretty conventional

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

If you are salvaging the forks and brakes a grand could get you a fairly decent Prince Albert. Tough, climbs well and mine seems to have trouble sticking to the ground, so I don’t think jumping will be a problem. I’m 6’1″ and ride a medium 17″.

Joeb
    Free Member

That bike looks properly anorexic!!! How high is the bottom bracket on the prince albert (glad they lost the extra tube). And how do you find the forks?

The goemetry of the rocky ridge looks promising, which is a bit unexpected. Not keen on Fox, think I’d prefer to stick to rockshox or marzocchi for servicing/reliability (of some models) however misguided that may be.

I think the forks will be upgraded fairly soon, if kept at all.

I’m happy to look second hand / ebay (if in reasonable condition) so the don’t necesscarily rule out rare / expensive / unexpected / ugly (I’m clearly not too worried about looks given my current bike).

tomzo
    Free Member

What a great looking prince albert. I’m jealous.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Cheers tomzo.

Joeb – yeah, the steel tubes are exaggerated by the 721 wheels with 2.35 kendas. I’m a big fan of skinny tubing and large tyres and forks.

The BB height is 12.5″ with 130mm forks – it seems a nice height with no pedal striking so far and plenty of confidence on the descents. The forks seem good as gold tbh. They were on the demo bike I rode, and to be honest I couldn’t afford the increased price on the pikes so went for the Menjas with a £100 saving, after being impressed by them on the demo ride.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dialled Alpine is pretty slack and lowish with a low top tube. Its also quite short so is good for jumps and downhill.

I basically bought a frame that I could use for some dh and jumps but would be able to get a decent saddle height for xc riding. I cope ok on this and can get the saddle easily high enough with a thomson seatpost. It might not be ideal for xc, but mines the short version, the longer one comes witha 23inch top tube.

Plus you could buy the frame new and do a build like mine for easily less than £1k (if you buy 2nd hand)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Apologies, my bike looks incredibly boring and will probably put you off buying one

SiB
    Free Member

Merlin Cycles? Rock lobster? Alot on offer at £999, may be worth having a look

Joeb
    Free Member

I wasn’t sure what Merlin had that wasn’t a bit traditional, but its all great value.

Davidtaylforth: its a very pretty bike and you shouldn’t say otherwise! I’d post a pic of mine but it’d give you nightmares. Good idea.

Right, off for some late night research.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just to throw something else into the mix what about an NS Society? Capable of Trail and DJ with 100/120/140 forks so Pikes would be excellent match! here is mine

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘choose my next hardtail…’ is closed to new replies.