Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Choose a car for £3k
  • LordSummerisle
    Free Member

following from an earlier thread: http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/saab/9-5/saab-9-5-se-t-2001/947774

Driving 14-15k a year (mostly country type roads) – not much urban at all – easy miles for one of these. While the SE has softer suspension than an Aero, it’ll even out the rougher roads
    Need space for shopping – check
    Safe – one of the safest cars in its class, built to pass the moose test, door handles designed to be strong enough they can be used to drag it out of a ditch should you slide into one in the middle of the swedish wilderness 😉 )
    Economical – used to average about 35mpg on the daily commute, which equaled around 450-475miles out of a tank, long motorway runs i could get 550-600miles
    Not one with a **** HDi engine or DMF – nope, petrol, low pressure turbo, change the oil regulary and you’ll be fine – especially doing lots of miles, they hate short urban drives
    Can be diesel or petrol not fussed
    Ability to have roof bars and/or a tow bar – estates pre 2005 have roof bars as standard. ours had a tow bar fitted too
    5 doors a must – check
    Not “clio” small – check

A lot of car for your money – just get the sump dropped by a saab specilist and the oil pick up checked for any deposit build up, and run it on fully synth oil changing every 6000-8000miles and the engine will run and run (chain cam too, never needed changing in the 185,000k miles we had our last one)

takisawa2

If your worried just get a petrol Mondeo. You can pick them up for daft money. Any garage can fix one, parts are cheap & in plentiful supply, & they are actually a decent car to drive & live with. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another if ours dies, ours is a diesel with 170k on the clock, drives perfectly though. Real world it does 40mpg, risk is a big bill hence me saying petrol engine. We only got a diesel for towing. Next one will be petrol.

Pieface

Spend the money on sorting out you current car and save 4k in one fell swoop

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I ask spending £1k on a repair that may well go again imminently. This is on mechanics advice

hora
    Free Member

If you must buy a used car don’t buy a used VW Golf. You’ll be on here moaning about it very soon!

Just buy a petrol Civic, Accord or 2.0 petrol Toyota.

Pieface

If it were me I’d go for a Nissan Note 1.6 petrol

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hora 2/3 correct – well done

trail_rat
    Free Member

golfs are bloody expensive as they get older and 3k doesnt get you much golf.

ash.addy
    Free Member

You’d get a half descent VW T4 transporter for that.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Right can we have a definitive list of good cars around £5k please

Pieface

Hyundai i30

trail_rat
    Free Member

“You’d get a half descent VW T4 transporter for that.”

i think the correct term is “lolzors”

youll get something with starship milage that the haters gonna hate and the players gonna love.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

AGH someone TELL me what to buy 🙂

weeksy

rob jackson – Member
    AGH someone TELL me what to buy

Mondeo 2.0 Ghia. All the bells and whistles, cruise, leather etc etc.

hora
    Free Member

Honda Accord.

wingnuts

That Civic joolsburger posted.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Go back to your original budget and get a mk Focus ST170 estate.

lasty
    Free Member

+ 1 for a civic hatch …
    Ive had a 1.6 vtec for the last 6 years – 70,000 miles by me (103k total) and no issues whatsoever ….
    Plenty of room with the seats down and 40+ mpg on a run – best car ive had – END OF !!

traildog
    Free Member

The Civic.

Saccades
    Free Member

Rover 75 estate/ZT-T with the L-series engine for bulletproofness, 50mpg (ZT-T has good handling) and low emmissions.

Dirt cheap.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Old dti vectra

Robin reliant

Delorean

Lada riva

306 td

1.6 petrol berlingo

300 tdi discovery

A milk carton

An a loaf of bread.

rob-jackson
    Free Member
    lasty
    Free Member

^^^^^ Bit of work on the price and id certainly go for it …

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Choose a car for £3k’ is closed to new replies.