Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Choice of 2 chainsets and can't decide!
  • Mintman
    Free Member

Merlin are selling the XT 761 26/36/48 for £90 (originally £200 it reckons) and the SLX triple 22/32/44 for £80. Where should I put my money. I guess really the question is whether the XT chainset is worth £10 more than the SLX one.

I suspect I can't go wrong with either, it's to go on my Pace 405.

Advice massively appreciated!

wwaswas

with theose ratios the XT would be better on a touring bike or somethign used on the road a fair bit.

chakaping
    Free Member

I've got both, SLX seems a good bit stiffer. Dunno about weight, if that's a factor for you.

Do you want those high rings on the XT anyway though?

poppa
    Free Member

I too think the SLX will have better gear ratios for off-road. There is only about 30g difference between the two anyway, according to WW.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The 26/36/48 is too high geared for an MTB, unless you're junking the rings go for SLX.

(If you ARE junking the rings, and you STILL go for the SLX, I'll buy all the SLX rings off you! If you're junking the XT rings, I'll just have the middle one please! 🙂 Email in profile….)

epicsteve
    Free Member

What bike will it be going on and what cassette are you using? If it's something reasonably light then the XT with an 11-34 might be good, or if you plan to drop the big ring, replace the 26 with a 24 and fit a bash (which is what I've done on one of my bikes, although with a Deore 26/36/48).

For general use though 22/32/44 is probably still the best, plus SLX also looks just as nice as XT.

poppa
    Free Member

Plus an XT with 26/36/48 probably weighs the same anyway because all the rings are bigger…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I'd go with neither myself – double and bash all the way…

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'd go with neither myself – double and bash all the way…

Depends on the bike though. I've gone double and bash on my Soul and Enduro but would definitely miss the big ring on my Zion and Epic.

njee20
    Free Member

You could just go for a 2×9 on either, 28/40 or something.

I'd definitely say the SLX if you're keeping rings, go with the XT if you're not.

poppa
    Free Member

Or you could just go 1×9. Or not bother, and walk. Or just turn into a zebra and take up tapdancing.

njee20
    Free Member

Or just turn into a zebra and take up tapdancing.

LOL!

Mintman
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice one and all; opted for the SLX triple in the end. I wasn't sure about the ratios with the XT ones and your opinions confirmed it; I'm not exactly a racing snake anyway.

As for the tap dancing zebra, i much prefer penguins and having seen Happy Feet (which was a documentary methinks); i won't be the only tap dancing penguin around.

james
    Free Member

XT 761 is the 2004-2007 groupset

XT 770 is the 2008 onward one

Although the total weigh for an XT761 22-32-44T is claimed at 860g and SLX 22-32-44T is claimed to be 889g (XT770 22-32-44T being 853g), the XT arms are heavier than the SLX ones (I weighed them)

XT761 and LX rings are made of aluminium and wear out quite quickly (made of cheese)
    XT770 and SLX have a part steel middle ring (the teeth) (lasts way longer but heavier) and part 'composite' (the part that connects to the crankarm spider. (SLX double/bash has an aluminium 36T ring I believe). Inner/outer rings are aluminium but I reckon (just my experience) are longer lasting than XT761 and LX chainrings

As above the 48-36-26 rings may tip that crankset over the weight of the SLX too
    Go for the SLX

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Choice of 2 chainsets and can't decide!’ is closed to new replies.