Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Chipping Sodbury
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

Please cam anyone tell me (or guide a northerner) if there is anything off road to ride around the Chipping Sodbury area?

I’ll be working down there from Tuesday to Friday next week and apart from a late finish on Wednesday, I’ll have the evenings free.

Anywhere to ride?
    Anything going on?
    Any group rides going on?

Cheers

zero-cool
    Free Member

Forest of Dean is about 40 mins away. North Nibley is about 15 minutes drive. Ashton Court, Leigh Woods, Belmont Freeriders is on the other side of Bristol so about 40 mins away.

Lots of road riding about though.

Even though I’ve been here a few years I haven’t really had time to explore anything else. Would love to know if there’s anything else.

wallop

I used to go to Chipping Sodbury for colonic hydrotherapy. That’s probably not very useful to you though (sorry).

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Zero Cool, can you tell me more about “North Nibley” please?

Stainypants

Mummy’s pony or the Au-pair

wrecker
    Free Member

Chipping sodbury village may be quaint and have a Waitrose, but the area around it certainly isn’t posh. At least 80% of the houses on are modern estates (and not particularly nice ones either). The toffs generally live in badminton or old sodbury.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I don’t care about the standard of housing just where about to ride off road in the area 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

If your travel along the A46 you’ll find Stroud nestled in the centre of 5 mini valleys. It has short sharp climbs, woodsy downs. Being a softy southerner, I could guide you if its not raining or dark. Are you that fat bloke off t’internet?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Cheers and no it’s not me.
    Was looking to ride from the hotel rather than drive somewhere.
    Cheers for the offer though

MrOvershoot

Chipping Sodbury…. Hotel !!!

Loads of riding around North Nibley but its still 10 miles each way from Sodbury.

If I was in the area I could show you stuff more local. Horton & Hawkesbury Upton would be quicker to reach

zero-cool
    Free Member

Sorry away from home at present so internet is a bit sporadic.
    Here’s a link to some info on it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16842225

Not been there this year, but you used to be able to link up some of the DH runs (ranging from tight single track to WTF?!!) with the fire road. Worth a bit of an explore.
    The hill has a massive Folly/memorial tower thing on top and the trails are in the woods at the back of the hill. Worth a hunt. Also Google Nibblesodes if you want to see some young guys belting around it on DH bikes.

Happy hunting

Tom KP

flashes
    Free Member

John, you are that Fat bloke off t’ internet………

cyclebiker

Hi mate, I live in one of the “not particularly nice estates” around Chipping Sodbury (thanks Wrecker) and there is nothing to really ride on your notel door. 10 mile up the road there is Wotton-Under-Edge which has some good woods to ride around leading to Nibley quary, (next to Nibley monument it is small but fun). Willet getting in the car there is noth No really. Ashton court could be worth a punt on an evening though.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Cheers Cyclebiker.
    I’ll have a google and strava heat map search for trails tomorrow.
    Are you riding this week on any evening? Fancy guiding a northerner around?

cyclebiker

Sorry, but I’m off the bike at the mo, but there is a cycle shop in Kingswood (near Wotton-Under-Edge) that I think have evening rides in the woods http://www.alscyclery.co.uk would be worth giving them a buzz.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Chipping Sodbury’ is closed to new replies.