Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Chippenham, Wiltshire. Whats the best way from Scotland with Public Transport?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Looking at a car in Chippenham in Wiltshire. What is the most direct/cheapest route from Scotland (Edinburgh)?

Thinking possibly train to London then train to Chippenham. Is there an airport nearby?

llama

easiest – train via london

cheapest – overnight coach then national express out to chipenham

quickest – heathrow, fast train to paddington, then out to chip

bristol airport – don't bother its miles from anywhere

must be some car

MrNutt
    Free Member

alternatively you could always ask someone who lives about 25m away from there to look over it for you? My old mans a mechanic and I've got a descent camera if that helps you? 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Cheers for that.

The last couple of cars I've bought from England. They've been in much better condition than most I've seen in Scotland. I think you guys use much less salt on your roads in winter. I'd rather get fleeced by an Englishman than a Weegie.

The rail fare to London is less than £50 and I drove back from London on £50 of diesel in the last car I bought.

MrNutt
    Free Member

otherwise I guess its national express or a train to london then on to 'nam, or perhaps to bristol then to 'nam. hell if I'm at a loose end on the day you wanna do it then I suppose I could collect you from bristol then run you down the M4 to 'nam then back up?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Cheers MrNutt.

I'll check out the rail fares and see what my options are.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

MrNutt…think you pulled there! 😯

Only messing…very nice of you old chap! Heathrows probably closer in time to Chip than Brizzle. But easy to get trains from Brizzle or central London.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I'll feed him to the demigod in my cellar, it loves battered food 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Has the XM died?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Turns out the car belongs to a fellow STWer. Serendipity 😀

MrNutt, I aint gonna be your gimp 😈

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Al, nope its a replacement for the Legacy, now all the snow had gone……

The XM had been dead for a year now. You need to get out riding with us over in Fife more

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pah. You need to come to GT for coffe more!

hoodoo
    Free Member

Get the train from 'nam to Bristol Temple Meads. Then get the bus from Temple Meads to the airport.

MrNutt
    Free Member

heh heh, If I'm honest I have a first floor apartment, plus have you any idea how much a gimp costs to keep? bugger that! 😀 😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Earlier in MrNutts basement – Bring out the Gimp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDl9LjHrm6U

MrNutt
    Free Member

does make you wonder, what came first the idea that they'd make a spoof of pulp fiction or that they had a gimp mask, America terrifies me more day by day 😀

italspark
    Free Member

id rather pay for keeping the gimp than get a weegie fleecing any day of the week

Stu_N

I've done Edinburgh – Bristol and Edinburgh – Swindon a lot over the past few years. My findings are thus:

If you're into flying, Easyjet Edinburgh-Bristol probably best
    Bus to Bristol Temple Meads (only 20 mins)
    Train to Chippenham

Edinburgh – Heathrow – Heathrow Express to Paddington – FGW train to Chippenham would probably work as well, but BA/BMi to Heathrow are probably more expensive and the Heathrow Express is "having a laugh" expensive.

Birmingham is probably third best airport – train from International to BTM then Chipenham. But you might as well get the train all the way if you're doing that as only an hour or two in it.

EDIT: Train takes almost 7 hours to Bristol whether you go via London or Birmingham. Sleeper could work out OK though.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Phoned the station. Kirkcaldy-London-Chippenham £66

Italspark, I might put an Ad on the classifieds for a Gimp to keep just in case a Weegie comes a fleecin'

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Sorry mcmoonter, that certainly surprised me what it sold for!!!

Best of luck finding another!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Chippenham, Wiltshire. Whats the best way from Scotland with Public Transport?’ is closed to new replies.