Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Chinese toddler ran over.. WTF!!
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Well I’m married to a Chinese girl and her family would have helped in this situation – though they’re also a lot better off than the average so have less to lose relatively if they got blamed. The thing is human life doesn’t have the same value to many of them as it does to most of us, it’s a very different culture so perhaps they can’t be expected to behave in the same way as we think is the norm. I was surprised by how happy they are to dump rubbish causing an eyesore close to their houses, but then that does happen here too.

therealhoops
    Free Member

My little girl is 20months and that video seriously distressed me. It’s terrible that she has died. One Chinese microblogger put it best…”there are no cars in heaven”.

theyEye
    Free Member

That story made me sick, and I’d like to think that I would have stopped and helped, whatever the financial cost.

However I can’t shake the ugly feeling that this attitude is somewhat of a luxury. I live in a country with a system which I believe is fundamentally just, and among people who vocally share my most treasured values — I don’t have much to fear by doing what I think is right.

If, on the other hand, I lived in some hypothetical place where as a result of my action my wife and 2 month old daughter would be forced to live their lives on the street eating out of garbage cans, I’d re-think the equation, and almost certainly would just walk on by. My primary responsibility is to my family. Of course it’s a matter of degree — I would trade my daughter’s momentary acute discomfort for another child’s life. I would not trade my daughter’s lifetime of acute discomfort for another child’s life. Where does that balance lie? I don’t know, and I hope I’ll never have to find out.

By all means the story is truly sickening. But the analysis here is a bit naive.

hora
    Free Member

My son is half-chinese. You see poverty all around the world in Sheepridge Huddersfield if the council didn’t clean the streets the area would soon resemble Sarejevo in no time at all.

Don’t tar ALL of China with one incident.

Let me give you food for thought:

<1mile from my house is a sliproad on the m60 where last winter a breakdown recovery worker was loading a broken down car. He was clipped by someone who didn’t slow down for the weather conditions ON A SLIPROAD leaving the motorway. There are eye witness accounts of drivers driving round him as he lay in the road and continuing on their way.

He died later in hospital.

A couple of years ago a bloke was side swiped off his motorbike and left over the lights in lane 1 of a dual carriageway on the way upto Man U. I stood over him blocking oncoming traffic to prevent him being run over whilst we waited for an Ambulance. Match fans were intent on getting to the match and barely slowed- cutting into lane 2 as quickly as they could. It was abit hairy but only a bus driver, myself and the bikers mate helped. Everyone on the bus drivers bus sat there gawping and no one pulled over to stop/block and use their hazards. I even had to pick up and drag his bike out of the way as a couple of cars almost hit the bike.

I later phoned the hospital to check on the rider and a friendly Doc said ‘he’ll recover fully but it’ll be a while’ 🙂

Why are people like this?

Sleep well racists.

hora
    Free Member

Just two of my own experiences locally and nowhere near China town.

Denis Livesley, 60, was loading a crashed Volvo onto his recovery truck on a slip road off the M60 when a Volkswagen Golf skidded on ice and hit him

A tow truck driver was mown down by a runaway car only to be left dying in the road – as other motorists drove round him.
    Denis Livesley, 60, was loading a crashed Volvo onto his vehicle on a motorway when a Volkswagen Golf skidded on ice and ploughed into him.
    But instead of stopping to help, drivers in other cars swerved round Mr Livesley as he lay face down on the inside lane of a slip road on the M60 near Sale, Greater Manchester.
    According to witnesses, some drivers had so little regard for the dying man, they even edged their cars past the Golf which had hit him because they did not want to be held up.
    Mr Livesley, from Oldham, who once worked as a roadie for Elton John and Sting was eventually attended to by passers-by including a doctor and then an ambulance crew but was pronounced dead on arrival at Trafford General Hospital.
    The shocking ‘walk on by’ scenario emerged as a jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing at an inquest into Mr Livesley’s death which occurred in December 2009.

Laura Warmoth, who was travelling to work, told the Stockport hearing: ‘It was horrific. I couldn’t believe my eyes as I witnessed motorists manoeuvring around him and driving off without stopping.

‘They had little or no regard for the man. It appeared all they were bothered about was getting past and getting on their journey.

‘They were swerving past the tailgate of the Golf. It was like a game. I found it very disturbing.’

Mrs Warmoth said she stopped her car at an angle to block the traffic and then went over to Mr Livesley who was said to be motionless

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Yep, had cars nearly run my feet over and sound their horns at me to move when i was knelt giving cpr to an old lady who had been hit by a car. Not really that much different here.

RichPenny
    Free Member

This reminds me of a constant theme in J G Ballards autobiography. He grew up in wartime shanghai, a pretty brutal place. He was shocked by how cheap life appeared to be there, but learnt that his morality was effectively purchased, by way of his privileged position in society.

Also, as hora points out, similar things happen here. Either way, its a tragedy.

hora
    Free Member

Then there are dying people who have had their wallet/pockets rifled. A case recently in the press where a young, promising member of society jumped off a multi story and a fella helped himself to her possessions and legged it. Again local to me, here in Manchester.

tails
    Free Member

Without trying to course any argument, the M60 if your travelling past at 60mph and see another person, Laura Warmoth helping you may feel that the incident is being dealt with appropriately although I must say it does sound a bit worse than that.

In the Wang Yue case a van at walking pace murdered her and 18 people walked yes walked past!! Beggars belief although as I mentioned earlier the well publicised baby P case is equally gobsmacking!

hora
    Free Member

It was on the slip road though.

We all see the way some drivers treat cyclists. I’ve given up cycling to work after two nasty close misses.

toppers3933
    Free Member

sorry hora but I’ve had a long day. what do you mean by racist? genuine question as i can’t be arsed to go through all the posts.
    cheers

Parvis
    Free Member

A couple of years ago an old lady collapsed on the pavement; the guy a few yards in front of me stepped over her and carried on walking. That was in England.

tazzymtb

Whilst that would never happen in the UK

yet in the UK people will walk past a woman screaming for help whilst being attacked and not get involved.

or that horrific case where someone drowned trying to save their dog in heavy seas and lots of people just stood around filming it on their phones. We in the UK are just as F__ked 😥

barbus
    Free Member

”or that horrific case where someone drowned trying to save their dog in heavy seas and lots of people just stood around filming it on their phones”.

Poor comparison there tazz, to assist the todler would not have put their life at risk, unlike jumping into a heavy sea to save someone from drowning.

Not the same at all.
    Prety sick to film it though.

globalti
    Free Member

Can’t view the video but I get the idea.

I’m just on my way home from 2 weeks in Africa; last week a customer insisted on showing me some pics on his phone that he took after Christians massacred several hundred Muslims in his town – completely unreported by the media as usual. I felt sick and handed the phone back after the third pic. Suffice to say that cannibalism is still practised in Africa with obvious gusto.

doh
    Free Member

ditch_jockey – Member

There are undoubtedly people in this country who share a similar attitude, usually on the basis of ‘health and safety’ concerns, or fears about the ‘compensation culture’ – I worked with someone recently whose organisation has decided not to train them in First Aid, in order to avoid being exposed to litigation, despite there being no legal precedent for a First Aider ever having been successfully sued for offering assistance.

not going to watch the vid i have enough bad things in my head.

i have been the 1st and 2nd person on the scene to two motorbike accidents, both in west midlands and both times the passing drivers treated the scenes as a nuisance with no help and people almost driving over the injured parties etc.

in the company i work for a 1st aider was recently grilled for several hours over a couple of days by some horrible f*ing lawyers over the immediate 1st aid they supplied after a nasty accident(blood loss and comfort really). the company paid up before going to court. as a result people are now (unofficialy)advised not to apply for 1st aid training with this being used as a reason = whatever you do you will be attacked by nasty lawyers.

in summary, people are sh!t sometimes.

doh
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member
    or that horrific case where someone drowned trying to save their dog in heavy seas and lots of people just stood around filming it on their phones. We in the UK are just as F__ked

no that is only slightly below you have been framed. (=sum)dumbass1 tries to save dog that will prob be ok + dumbass2 tries to save dumbass1 + dog = 2 dead dumbasses +1 wet dog +1 one £250 video. get a grip man.

bobbyspangles

jesu, there are some mentals on this forum.

first pag reads like a splash line from any redtop, oh dear.

i have experienced this type of disregard for human suffering when i found an old lady who had collapsed on the pavement, cutting her head in the process. Where and when did this happen? Royal Leamington spa, on the Parade(main st) and on a sat afternoon.

We dont know how we will react when these situations arise.

pcb
    Free Member

To be honest even if someone tried to take me for all my money for stopping to help a two year who had been run over, I still would help. Its the right thing to do.

This isn’t a cultural thing, this is just people being selfish and down right disgusting. The same thing would happen in every major city in the world. Including the ‘civilised’ western ones.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

To be honest even if someone tried to take me for all my money for stopping to help a two year who had been run over, I still would help. Its the right thing to do.

I suppose the fact is that that is easier to say in a country with reasonable standards of law and legal recourse. Also, being sued in the UK does not mean your children will end up on the streets begging for food or becoming prostitutes (possibly with you pimping them) with no health provision or state assistance until they die prematurely.

The sad fact is that in many nations getting involved could put you in that scenario.

It is harder to understand in our secure western states.

Crell
    Free Member

What I find harder to understand is why anyone would actually want to watch the video.

whytetrash

Sick…neighbours daughter witnessed similar in Africa…truck hit a kid breaking his leg….then proceeded to engage reverse gear to finish him off…she dragged him out of the way, told they couldn’t afford hospital treatment so it was common practice…happy ending was she paid for kids leg repair…makes you realise how lucky we are here

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Chinese toddler ran over.. WTF!!’ is closed to new replies.