Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Chinese possessions.
  • tails
    Free Member

Thought some of you might like this, I’m constantly trying to rid myself of possessions I just own too much stuff!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19648095

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Makes you think doesn’t it? Pretty sure I have more than that in my garage.. 😐

PiknMix
    Free Member

Wow,

I’m the first to admit that I have way too much stuff, I feel I need it. I am unsure where I picked this up from throughout life but I would love to get rid of it all. I just know I couldn’t though.

DrP

I get frustrated at the amount of ‘stuff’ that I have and think I need, but really could do without…

DrP

yunki
    Free Member

Good god that makes me so envious..

I lived with a fair bit less than even those guys up until my late 20s. A cyder jug, spare work boots, baccy tin and a fishing pole was all I needed in the world, but a permanent home, settled lifestyle and wife and kids have turned all that completely on it’s head.. Mrs yunki also tends towards solving problems by buying solutions which really doesn’t help.. (eg. kids spill their drink, buy a non-spill cup.. 😯 )

I can barely move for unnecessary TAT clogging up every available surface and spilling over onto the floor, and out of windows and from overstuffed and bursting drawers and cupboards.. my only release from this torturous and claustrophobic existence is to indulge my guilty passion for retail therapy.. 😳

there is no hope

Sometimes it is completely simple to understand how a wealthy man can turn his back on society and become a willing vagrant.. When the kids leave home I may well simply buy a trailer for my bike and ride away from it all..

GrahamS

One of the greatest joys of doing the stereotypical “year out travelling round Oz/NZ in a campervan” was being restricted to what you could pack under the bed in the back of a van.

We swore we’d never get bogged down in possessions again.

Fast-forward a decade and now we’re drowning in piles of crap and considering buying a bigger house just so we have somewhere to put it all.

McHamish
    Free Member

Hang on. I don’t have a satellite phone, seems pretty popular in parts of China…do i need one?

ska-49
    Free Member

Everything I own fits in the boot of a golf (except bikes). I am a student though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Fast-forward a decade and now we’re drowning in piles of crap and considering buying a bigger house just so we have somewhere to put it all.

This is true of so many people in this country and in the West in general. You need to free yourself from desire firstly. I have some Buddhist friends with very interesting thoughts on “desire” and where it gets you.

We have fallen into the trap of thinking that the accumulation of possessions will somehow make our lives better. Yet, more often than not, after the initial rush of buying and setting up stuff, our lives return to the same level of misery as before.*

*excepting smartphones and Sky+ (other PVR devices are available) 🙂

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Clearly they have invested in property, look at the size of their back garden!!

PiknMix
    Free Member

I even pay a fortune for a storage unit, to store all the stuff I own that won’t fit in this house!

thinking about it I own ridiculous amounts of stuff.

GrahamS

You need to free yourself from desire firstly.

I don’t think I’m too bad on the desire front. Being Scottish I am genetically a very reluctant shopper.

I think my biggest problem is that I never, ever throw anything away.

You never know when I might want to dig out my old Atari ST and hook it up to that black and white telly…

Northwind

I like having stuff, and don’t feel at all bad about it.

GrahamS- do that today.

GrahamS

GrahamS- do that today.

In all honesty I doubt either of them still work.

Still.. might come in useful…

retro83
    Free Member

I was watching idiot abroad last night and must admit felt quite envious of the Amish folk.
    Okay, not so much the lack of anti-biotics part but just the simplicity of their existence without the clutter of iPhones, computers, televisions. Physical work day-to-day, living from the land etc. Instead we sit stressed in traffic jams, to rush to a desk where you sit on your arse all day working for people who wouldn’t piss on you if you were on fire.

andyl
    Free Member

The 3rd ones down are ready to set up some tubeless tyres 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

rogerthecat – Member

Clearly they have invested in property, look at the size of their back garden!!

I think that couples are from Inner Mongolian … what a wonderful life with so little possession. Less stress.

peachos
    Free Member

One of the greatest joys of doing the stereotypical “year out travelling round Oz/NZ in a campervan” was being restricted to what you could pack under the bed in the back of a van.

agree – i travelled for 2 years and it was a great feeling that (apart from when i owned a car or bikes/snowboard) everything i owned could be stuffed into my backpack within 10 minutes.

incidentally, i’ve got 3 weeks of backpacking in China starting tomorrow…i did buy a new backpack for this trip though 😳

packer
    Free Member

I like having stuff, and don’t feel at all bad about it.

Me too.

samuri
    Free Member

I notice they’ve all got a telly. Nice to see that no matter how little money you have, where in the world you live, under what regime, you can still settle down in the evening with a nice cup of tea and watch Coronation street.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Chinese possessions.’ is closed to new replies.