Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Chinese knock-off Lezyne bike lights, anyone tried?
  • snownrock

Anyone got one of these? £4.40, got to be worth a punt?

link

I’m after a some decent winter flashers that use an elastic strap [ponce] so I don’t have to leave mounts fixed to my good road bike [/ponce]

richmtb

Hmm…

I’ve got one of the proper Lezyne lights, Its a very well designed and well-thought out product

Not sure I like the idea of cheap Chinese rip offs just copying the design and selling an inferior product.

I’m not a branded lights tart by any means. I’ve got a Solarstorm and a C&B Seen as my main offroad lights. But at least those lights aren’t just blatantly ripping off someone else’s design

bikeneil
    Free Member

How can you be sure it wasn’t Lezyne who did the ripping?

stevied
    Free Member

I’m gonna take a punt on one I reckon. I’ve got a Lezyne Femto rear at the moment and the battery is on the way out..

saxabar
    Free Member

My Lezyne’s died way earlier than they should have done (Is this a common issue with USB lights?). Punted!

DezB
    Free Member

It’s like the Planet-X Phaart lights – rip offs of Smart, but still do the job just fine.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The Phaart’s are insanely bright!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have the old style ones which were 99 p iirc and only one LED
    Lastest last winter fine and still bright

My guess is they will be fine but cheaper versions – especially rear- are available

snownrock

I use the dual 0.5W Phaart’s (the Bleep) on all my other bikes, just don’t like the fact that you have to leave an old style bracket fixed to the bike at all times. Thought for the sake of £4 these would be worth a punt, if they are anything as good as they proper Lezyne lights they’ll be a steal.

MrSparkle

I just bought a rear. Weird thing is it was advertised as £4.28 and then when I selected a red (rear) it became £4.29. Booooo!! I can’t wait for the 3 weeks to pass and it arrives.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s like the Planet-X Phaart lights – rip offs of Smart, but still do the job just fine.

Pretty sure the smart’s just come out the same catalog, I’ve the same lights from someone else (not PX or Smart).

lovewookie

love the fact the lights in the OP are shown on a chufeng…..chuffing…:-)

kbomb
    Free Member

I’ve owned both the rip off lights and the Lezyne versions.

The Lezyne lights are slightly better finished, and have the perfect default flashing modes, in that when you turn the front light on, it stays on steady, not quite the brightest mode. When you turn the rear on, one of the LED’s stays on constant, while the other 2 alternate, which I think makes for a perfect rear light, as did a lot of people I went out with.

However, I lost the front light (my fault entirely), and the battery on the rear light never lasted as long as it should, and got worse over time.

I picked up a few of the knockoff lights, as I figured at least I wouldn’t care so much if i lost them. They’re not so well finished, but they’ve survived some rain and the battery life seems reasonable, and consistent. They don’t have the charging indicator of the Lezynes, although I didn’t trust that anyway. The rubber band isn’t as well designed, and might not be as durable, but has been just fine so far. The flashing modes aren’t as good, but you’ll still be seen, which is all that really matters.

For a couple of backup lights that you don’t mind leaving on your bike outside the pub, the knockoffs are great.

postierich
    Free Member

Just bougt 3 as I always losing lights in crashes off road!

snownrock

Kbomb, thanks for the feedback, just what I was after.

I should have asked for commission

StirlingCrispin

Do Lezyne make their own lights?

I have the MTB Batteries back light and it is identical to the Lezyne light – down to the instruction sheet. It just has a different name on the light.

It’s a very good backlight but I’d like a low-battery warning indicator.

DezB
    Free Member

I can’t wait for the 3 weeks to pass and it arrives.

This man needs to buy himself something nice! 😉

nosedive
    Free Member

Ive had 2 lezyne ones. Neither lasted a winter(first one replaced under warranty). Im going to give the knock off ones a try. If they last 3 months they will still work out cheaper

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Got a Lezyne Femto rear light that has packed up after a winter and a half of very moderate, occasional use.

How much worse can the knock-off ones be?

cookeaa

Found another one for £3.98, gotta watch those pennies…

And I bought an even cheaper USB charging rear light for £1.89 just to see.

Like many others I am also a fan of the phart bleep but fixed brackets and replacing batteries means I fancy a change.

Cheers OP.

snownrock

Watching the pennies… That’s the problem with these Chinese lights, they are so cheap that I buy lots and end up spending quite a bit.

Like this evening instead of buying just one of the lezyne rip off I’ve bought a moon comet copy and a couple of others just to compare…. They’re only a fiver each…..

snownrock

Received mine over the weekend. First impressions are good, I haven’t had chance to use them in anger yet though. Quality seems as expected, not as good as the actual lezyne but time will tell I suppose. They are very bright, the front is comparable to a cree torch and will be great for streetlit road rides, the flashes aren’t too strobey either which is good. The rear isn’t as bright but still good, comparable to a phaart dual 0.5 watt. Side visibility seems OK but they don’t have the separate amber side lights like the actual light, and mountings simple and secure. USB charging works well with a green light to confirm full charge.

cookeaa

Just received my marginally cheaper knock off lezyne rear as well as my £1.89 USB charged rear light…

The lezyne copy is pretty good, certainly as bright as a 0.5watt smart/phart but it has a dimmed mode, as well as a couple of blinky modes and the mounting is neat, with a little angled bit to the molding to accommodate seat angle and point backwards rather than down, impressed enough that I will be off to order a front version to try on the headtube maybe.

I am also surprised by the quality of the super cheap blinker I got, not as bright or well finished as the other one, but actually very good, does indeed charge from usb and has been OK with a couple of hours on blinky mode so far, I am going to see how long a single charge lasts (it’s not my primary light) but for under £2 it’s actually quite good…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Chinese knock-off Lezyne bike lights, anyone tried?’ is closed to new replies.