Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chinese carbon wheel set – anyone had these?
  • cuberider
    Free Member

Like the price on these FuLL Carbon 3K Road Bike Clincher Wheelset Wonder what the quality would be like…

coopersport1
    Free Member

Don’t think I’d risk it either, get the Planet X ones, yes a bit more money but they are probably EXACTLY the same wheels and at least you might have some backup if anything does go wrong with a number in the UK to call

cp

They’re about the same weight as PX’s 60mm clinchers, which at the moment are £330… just not worth the saving by the time you’ve added shipping on to those ebay ones.

And the pX ones have an alu braking surface, which means your brakes have a chance of working in the wet…

EDIT – well, they were 330 last night, they’re back at 399 now!

njee20
    Free Member

I’d try them, although I’d probably also go for the Planet X ones for simplicity.

titusrider
    Free Member

whats the point if they are over 1800g at that weight get alu braking surfaces for durability/wet weather/heat build up etc

the ‘carbon’ ness of it only benifits you if you are getting a deep section under around 1500g where u couldnt get an alu brake surface in at that weight

Get these if u REALLY want cheap carbon clinchers :
    http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-road-bike/carbon-road-bike-wheels

njee20
    Free Member

Full carbon clinchers are rarely that light anyway, I’d go tubs or not bother personally.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Hasn’t there also been cases of the braking service overheating causing it to seperate from the wheel body? Not sure which wheels they were but I’m sure there has been recorded cases of this.

Edit, I have a pair of PX carbon tubs for my cx bike and they have been faultless.

cuberider
    Free Member

Thanks very much. Helpful comments.

These look good: Shimano WHRS80-A-C24

njee20
    Free Member

Very different. The 60mms will feel bloody sluggish up hill (based on some significantly lighter 50mm clinchers I had), but be very fast on the flat. If you’re after something for a TT or tri bike they’ll probably be briliant. The carbon rims won’t work too well in the wet, so they’re more of a dry day type wheelset though.

If you want carbon clinchers that are a little more versatile there’s quite a lot of 32mm ones out there – check out the Light Bike link up there ^^^.

The RS80s are a great all round wheelset, much lighter, much less aero.

cp
    chief9000
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with any carbon rimed wheels. Stick with metal they are tried and tested. You may think the same about carbon rims, but you would be surprised how little bike designers know about these materials. I have seen several rims fail with terrible effects.

cuberider
    Free Member

Thanks again. Looks like RS80s from PX. Cheers.

njee20
    Free Member

but you would be surprised how little bike designers know about these materials.

Evidence of that? I imagine Paul Lew and co know a little more than you 🙄

I have seen several rims fail with terrible effects.

Me too, alu ones too, brake failures are far more common there.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chinese carbon wheel set – anyone had these?’ is closed to new replies.