Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Chinese carbon road disc wheelset
  • getoutandride
    Free Member

Will I die as they explode in a cloud of black plastic or
    For under £400 are they a good option for a set of disc road Wheels?

Anyone bought some off eBay?if so any recommendations? I have looked at iCan online. Any help or advice gratefully received.

scaredypants

I’ve had some from lightbicycle – novatech hubs

They’re fine. Hubs still going strong after a couple of years and the rims are still true. Funnily enough they were also used with rim brakes for quite a long time but the braking surface wore too far so now they’re disc only on the winter/cx bike

(I had to ask specifically for a braking surface as well as disc hubs as they assumed I’d want disc only – watch that)

njee20
    Free Member

I bought a set from Ali Express, they’ve been faultless.

These, basically. No graphics.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of carbon clinchers on my road bike direct from China via ebay. They were 250 quid a year ago. They’re as light as wheels 10 times the price.

Every time I ride i think they’re going to shatter into a thousand pieces. Not because they ride badly, in fact they’re as good as any other wheels I’ve had, the fear is purely down to reading scary stories on the internet. I’m 95kg so not too light and they’re still going strong with no hint of any weaknesses.

Can’t comment on disc wheels but the novatec hubs on mine are perfectly good if not the best in terms of weather sealing.

getoutandride
    Free Member

What did you guys get stung for import duty?

infidel
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of light bicycles ones on my mountain bike for 4 years or so with no problems at all – disc carbon.
    Road wheels – I rad a set of far sports rim brake wheels on novatech hubs for almost 2 years and have only recently sold them to a mate as I went for some Reynolds attacks. The reyonlds are lighter but otherwise there is no appreciable difference. Black prince pads on the farsports rims and your laughing.

From memory I think I paid about £40 on the rims coming into the UK.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Just bookmarking this thread

getoutandride
    Free Member

I need disc hubs and an XD driver, recommendations?

getoutandride
    Free Member

an XD driver

Or… will a shimano 11 speed cassette work with a SRAM Rival rear mech?

njee20
    Free Member

It will, absolutely fine.

An XD Driver for Novatec hubs is only about £40, so not bad. Only reason to do that is to Mamie use of the SRAM 10t, which is a bit unnecessary on the road.

I paid about £40 in fees I recall.

LardLover
    Free Member

Another plus for Light Bicycle.

I bought some carbon clincher rims for my cross bike and had them built onto some Chris King hubs. I’ve fairly thrashed* them off Road and apart from a couple of scratches they’ve been faultless.

*I say thrashed but really mean clumsy – first time back off Road in nearly 10yrs and decided to ride my old mountain bike trails on my newly built cross bike. It wasn’t pretty!

vdubber67
    Free Member

I’ve broken two Chinese carbon rear wheels in about 5 seasons of CX racing. Both times from hitting something too hard (root/curb) with about 17psi in the tub. I can report that the failure mode is usually a big bang, and the side wall near what would be the brake track goes soft. Both times I finished the race on them without them blowing up etc. They basically delaminate internally at the impact point. Safe as houses 🙂

monkeyboyjc

Bought mine on aliexpress, had them for just over a year with no issues, light “gravel bike” offroad use as well as standard road stuff. No issues what so ever….

I think they cost about £250 when I bought them.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I bought just the hookless LB rims and originally laced hem to Tune hubs, then more recently Hope Pro4s. All good.

rickmeister

Not skinny rims but I have two sets of 90mm carbon fat bike wheels from ICAN and they have been faultless. This has included rattling down routes in Torridon as well as gentler stuff.

Conversation by email was excellent and they helped with the declared vale for customs. I would buy again.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Chinese carbon road disc wheelset’ is closed to new replies.