Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Chimney balloons
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Anyone got one? Anyone found any better/DIY options? Noticed how severe the updraught is when I happened to hold a large piece of polystyrene sheet near it and pinged against the opening like it was magnetic. As our fire is pretty much entirely for show and occasionally curling up next to we rarely use it (but would like to occasionally), so I’m thinking of blocking it up in a temporary fashion, though £25 for a bit of plastic* seems steep.

*OK it’s a bit more complex than that, but not much.

carbon337
    Free Member

They work – but obviously make sure you remove them when lighting fire, which my granddad didn’t do.

Xylene
    Free Member

Read up on them recently.

Currently using a bit of cardboard to block off old fireplace.

Did’t cost me a penny.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Considered the card option but it’s not so easy to get up to our flue area – the fire opening is fairly small, it then opens to a larger cavity above, then cramps down again. Worth a try i suppose. I’ve loads of spare polystyrene sheet too…. It’s just I expect the balloons seal better on uneven brickwork etc

wwaswas

do leave some space for ventilation or you may get damp in the chimney.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Leaving any notable space effectively negates the point of the balloon? I’ve 90% blocked the hole and it’s now a howling gale through what’s left of course.

wwaswas

you just need half a dozen holes the diameter of a pencil so maybe 99% block it?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve no idea where you got the hole number and size from but I’m going to blindly accept it and start cutting polystyrene as I’ve no better info to go with!

Cheers all!

wwaswas

years of experience 🙂

well, actually I looked at the little vents I fitted to our chimneys that were blocked off and extrapolated.

I think the key is really just to let air go up the chimney – because it’s warm it’ll tend to keep the inside of the stack dry as you’ll get rain water coming down the inside from the top.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I shouldn’t get any rain in from the top, I’ve got a fancy stainless multi-baffled hat up there. 🙂

After 20 mins with bits of polystyrene and scissors I’m covered in soot, my ornamental white fireplace is full of soot and brick dust and I’ve given up, I’m going to drop £20 on a nice balloon!

Stoner
    Free Member

DIY = Bladder form a winebox.

29erKeith
    Free Member

John Lewis have got Space Hopers in for £10 😆

bedmaker

A large pigeon, dead. Live ones can be messy

footflaps

small child?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wine boxes not large enough, my opening is 16×12 inches. 😯 But I’m liking that thinking – keep following that line!

Small child – none handy, but I like the idea. Feet as “dont put fire on” warning too, clever.

Pigeons – got some crows but I dont think they’re large enough.

Spacehopper might be a tad too big!

sl2000

I’m using a bin bag filled with newspaper.

coffeeking
    Free Member

That is one option I suppose – no problems with it falling down or bringing all sorts of tat down with it when you remove it?

sl2000

No falling down problems. I don’t use it in the fireplace that we have a fire in, so don’t know if it would make a mess when removed, although I expect it would.

BlobOnAStick

We use an old pillow. It gets a bit dirty and damp if it rains, but it breathes a bit so keeps the damp down without letting a howling gale through.
    Must remember to remove it though – it doesn’t burn that well 🙂

Ben

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ll bet it does burn well!

scotabroad

I got a tip off a stove installer who said stuff some spare loft insulation into it. It stops the draughts but does allow a small amount of breathability.

Simple trick and it works very well, our front room had the newspaper/ carboard stuck up it and we repalced it with a very large handful of loft insulation and the difference was immediate. Plus you can pull it out if you want to use the fire. Obviously use gloves and mask etc….

ski
    Free Member

sl2000 – Member

I’m using a bin bag filled with newspaper.

Mine been up for 4 years now, bit worried what I might find above it now when it does come down 😉

stuey
    Free Member

Santa wees on chimney balloons.

coffeeking
    Free Member

scotabroad – what was the difference you noted? Sounds like a good idea, and I do have some of that lying around!

Santa doesn’t wee.

McHamish
    Free Member

On Christmas eve…leave a load of food on your roof. When Santa comes along he’ll eat it, then half way down the chimney he’ll get stuck. Problem solved.

Then eventually decomposition will allow his corpse to gently slide into the fireplace which you can use to start a fire with…assuming it’s not too damp.

jonnyv
    Free Member

Just conducted a fair bit of internet research and decided to spend £23 on one rather than burn my house down.it just pops IF the fire is ever lit or turned on.

stuey
    Free Member

If coffeeking is telling the truth – his big jelly belly may be an sherry/milk fueled extended bladder- best not be on his naughty list – you’ll never get a fire lit.

Q: Does Black Pete’s coal burn well?

Stoner
    Free Member

How about shoving a tin of spam up the flue?

GrahamS

*** SPAM *** (Reported)

(Why do we let new members join and post replies to year old threads??)

Stoner
    Free Member

STW Mods dont. All 12m+ threads are locked now. This is only 11m.

GrahamS

Can’t we have a rule that new members can’t put links in threads until they have made 10 previous posts.
    And can’t drag up threads more than 4 weeks old until they have made 20 posts?

That should be punishment enough for spammers.

joao3v16
    Free Member

“Holy Thread Resurrection Batman”

(as BikeRadar-ers would say…)

I’m glad someone did resurrect this – I’ve been wondering how to prevent my chimney fro leaking out all the lovely warm air I’ve just spent all my money heating 🙂

Loft insulation for me I think. I can pinch some from the loft to trial.

philconsequence
    Free Member

careful with chimney ballooooons:

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Chimney balloons’ is closed to new replies.