• This topic has 40 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by quba.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Chilterns yesterday (25th)
  • quba
    Free Member

Had a great ride yesterday (bikehike map, riding anti-clockwise). I need to refine the route though as the climb up from Stonor was hideous!

cinnamon_girl

Blimey, that was some ride! Well done.

Don’t forget there is a STW Chilterns Forum Ride on Sunday 21st June. All welcome.

nickc

The Stonor Climb is waaaay better as a descent… 🙂 And next door, there’s a even better “cheeky” version

cinnamon_girl

Ooooh, I would be interested to know where that is!

nickc

No chance…. 😆

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

We did a grea long ride aroudn Turville and Ibstone area ending in a top pub lunch, awesome riding with some wicked descents. Can’t make the Chilterns ride on 21st June.

Trimix
    Free Member

Yup, you should ride down that Stonor bit. Its steep enough to make your sphincter blink. Usually covered in leaves so it looks smooth, but hides the odd hidden branch / log / rabbit hole.

quba
    Free Member

I chose the route because I love the desents from Hailey Wood and Christmas Common. The bit through Great Wood and back via Kimble fm was brand new for me and worthy inclusions. I did wimp out of the gnarly drop-off at the bottom of the Roundhose desent (no bottle these days since a mate had a bad crash a few years ago).

A bit of refinement and I should have a half-decent ride 🙂

greasystain
    Free Member

Nice route – may have to try some of it myself.

Can go round there without do this little gem:

The Nuns Gully

quba
    Free Member

Thanks greasystain I’ll give that a try sometime.

DezB
    Free Member

C_G – will your Chilterns ride be near that one?

cinnamon_girl

greasystain – that link doesn’t work for me 🙁

Dez – see above! I hope you and singletrackmind are coming to the Chilts then? Been busy trying to work out which tracks to ride – spoilt for choice 😀

cinnamon_girl

Could I have a grid reference please? And what does a gully have to do with nuns?

TheGingerOne

Quba, when you say ‘I did wimp out of the gnarly drop-off at the bottom of the Roundhose desent ‘, do you mean where it pops out of the trees at the end of the wood before the grass hill down to the track where you turn left to head back up?

I can’t say I had noticed a drop-off when going down there, but can’t think where else you mean?

DezB
    Free Member

Dez – see above! [/I]

Which bit above??

Yeah, hopefully Rob will be able to make – I have a mate who lives nearby too, so it’ll be good if he can join us.

quba
    Free Member

TheGingerOne – yep that’s the bit, doesn’t look much does it?

cinnamon_girl

By Reservoir Hill? Where it’s rooty then a chalky gully?

DezB
    Free Member

rooty then a chalky gully?

I like the sound of that 🙂

nickc

Nun’s Gully?

I guess this is the descent of Hatchets Woods? Starts at the Parmoor Convent? Spits you out on the road above Skirmett?

cinnamon_girl

Phew! At long last I have MTFU’d and ridden that twice … but it was in the dry 😯

The descent is brilliant but then it’s a real slog afterwards to climb out of the valley 🙁

The above is assuming that I understand where is being discussed!

Dez – the more the merrier!

cinnamon_girl

nickc – I did notice a little sign there asking for cyclists to be cautious … but does anyone take any notice?

I’m totally confused now anyway 😳

nickc

Yep, there are signs there. I did ask the ROW officers about them, they didn’t say directly but I think there’s a pretty vocal grumpy ald fecker that lives along there somewhere how really really hates pretty much every-one as far as I can tell, as I’ve seen him yelling at horse riders too… :D, and I think they’re a sop to him.

and nope, I take no notice of them either 😉

TheGingerOne

I can’t say I would call it either gnarly or a drop-off myself!!!

greasystain
    Free Member

The Nuns Gully

Try this link.

Feldo
    Free Member

quba, you could bolt on a good little addition to the loop from Christmas Common (assuming anticlockwise loop)down thro Greenfield Woods, pick up the road to Cookley Green, head off left down a fast descent down thro the nature reserve at Upper Maidensgrove, then up a cheeky climb that takes you up to the common at Maidensgrove. You can then either bomb down the road to Stonor or pick up the bridlepath across the common and go down an equally fast descent that comes out at Pishill. Agreed, that climb out of Stonor is damn near impossible.

nickc

Agreed, that climb out of Stonor is damn near impossible.

This time of year it’s doable in a “saddle up yer arse instant red line sort of way” come winter, it’s a technical dab in the middle for sure

RepacK
    Free Member

Yep there is some good stuff round there – some of it “cheeky” & not totally legit..But Id be happy at some time to show folk if anyone is interested. Total route is about 20 miles – say 2 hrs riding ish?

ps Nuns Gully is fave plus if you climb out upto Xmas Common having come down from Ibstone there is a great “cheeky” run down to Turville..Which I think has already been alluded to… 😉

Feldo
    Free Member

Last ‘rode’ that climb two weekend back in the pouring rain and howling wind…didn’t even bother trying to get up it, was hard enough walking! If you can get up it in those conditions with a ‘dab’, hat’s off to yer!

RepacK
    Free Member

It is a tough one Ive done it in the dry but then Im running a 34 on the rear! As for the wet I cant remember but I may have..But for sure not every time – its a b1tch! If you dab its soooo hard to get going again! Where did you go after that?

greasystain
    Free Member

RepacK – I’d be very interested in some of that. You wouldn’t be in the area this Sunday morning would you?

RepacK
    Free Member

No Im in the US till the end of July but would be happy to do something say early August?

Feldo
    Free Member

Repack…at the top, turn left onto the road, follow it down there basically on quba’s route through Kimble Farm, but instead of heading up to the M40, head over to Ibstone Common, going down a chalk/flint chute which kind of rejoins his route. (Beware, that one is a tyre shredder..I’ve punctured beyond repair on flint down there). It’s about a 40k loop with a ride too and from Wokingham either end.

cinnamon_girl

Blimey, that climb beside Stonor … you actually ride UP it 😯

Respect indeed!

Getting a bit worried about this Forum Ride on 21st June, reckon I’ll end up riding on my own 😳

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

If anyone fancies riding around the Chilterns drop me an e-mail, last Sunday there was about 15 of us out riding around Turville all people tha have “met” through Singletrack. I can add others ono our mailing list ify ou interested.
    franwhyte AT hotmail DOT com

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Aye,
    I agree about the Stonor climb! I’ve been really chuffed that the past 2 tries I’ve managed it! But know that’ll change come winter and more wet weather!

Feldo, you’ve alluded you’re based in wokingham, ne too! Get in toch if you fancy a ride sometime!

Mark

Feldo
    Free Member

Will do Mark, not sure how to get in touch ‘off forum’…e-dunce. Always up for some company going in that direction. Can stick the bikes on the back of the car and drive over there if laziness overtakes!

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Feldo,
    Click on the green ‘member’ bit after my name and it’ll show you my profile which has a link to my email address… without all the (DOT) and the (AT) stuff replaced with . and @ respectively!

cheers,

Mark

quba
    Free Member

you actually ride UP it

Echo that respect – I didn’t make it as far as the corner of the fence 🙁
    Definately going to work round that one.

BTW: Nearly everyone I passed was very pleasant and chatty (except 1 solo rider and the dog @ Kimble Farm), must have been the fine weather. That includes Sunday when we did a family stroll round Wormsley Park – may have seen your group Munqe-chick.

RepacK
    Free Member

Well cheers for the respect guys but Im sure we are all capable of getting up it! Feeling embarressed now cos of all the praise & the expectation upon me to clean should I ever meet up with any of you guys on the trail..

simonb
    Free Member

Is anyone riding the Chilties this weekend? Usually ride there on my own, be nice to have some company. 😀 BTW in I’ve never managed that Stoner climb either ever!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Chilterns yesterday (25th)’ is closed to new replies.