Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chilterns High Wycombe area etc
  • carbonfiend
    Free Member

Now moved into Hughenden Valley, anybody got any route files for surrounding areas can share to load to a Garmin. Seen plenty of woods on my doorstep loads of footpaths (with hardly anybody ever on). Also wondering if there is route or has anybody local ridden over to Wendover avoiding the roads ?

Gonna explore myself but would rather have a specific routes that avoid angry farmers or pedantic locals etc

Cheers

shermer75
    Free Member
    ononeorange

Chilterns based here and thoroughly paper map based too. None of this gps nonsense!

Your difficulty is getting out of hughenden valley itself – it’s all footpaths and I don’t know them. But get up to peterley corner farm on the A4128 turn right onto nags head lane then left on the BW through peterley wood. A bit of road through the back of prestwood then follow the little road down the valley onto rignall road -left then almost immediately right onto the BW by the little house. Climb up the other side and follow this along the ridge to duns more, straight over crossroads and then left fork at BW split. Follow along and look for a small gap in fence after about half a mile – take this BW down , awesome descent. Spits you out on a little road, turn right and follow to wendover.

At main road right then left and follow paths to church then right along road – follow round left at steep corner, turn right at junction, wendover woods is about a mile along this road on your right.

Can show you round a bit after the next couple of weekends, but I am slow fat and old!

Ps – yes we’re a friendly bunch at Summit!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hijacking the thread a little, but any that aren’t formal clubs? FB groups or whatever that just meet up, in particular any that do night rides?

Just that I’m sort of in the area for a bit, but mostly will only be able to do late evening rides. Just interested as an option.

Oh, and I did a ride with someone local around there a while back. No idea of the route though but some nice mix of general xc woodland stuff and odd bits of singletrack.

Dickyboy

routes that avoid angry farmers or pedantic locals etc

just be overly polite when on footpaths & avoid anywhere that has the little red no cycling signs & you’ll be alright, these rules served me well enough over the years

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I kinda get the directions you mean as been on the road quite bit. Yeah plenty of footpaths where I am in Hughenden and see a route to wendover just unsure how people react to seeing a bike on a footpath :-/

Princess risborough keeps coming up when I google stuff ?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I was walking between Wendover and Princes Risborough yesterday and made a mental note that trails over pulpit hill looked pretty good for cycling. There’s got to be some decent circular routes to be had around there.

jezketley
    Free Member

Loads of good trails in the woods around Hughenden manor. Some bridleways and loads of other paths to explore and follow your nose. Perfect for night riding. Bucksmtb are a friendly bunch. I am leading an open ride on 18 April. They are relaxed affairs but a good way to try us out. Once you get a few Strava followers in the area there will be loads of gamin routes to upload. Local knowledge is key. You can ride on pretty good trails all year round if you know where to go. But there are some truly horrible bridleways around as well.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I’ve entered the off road sportive that they do. Think I’ll just head out then and see what happens got a garmin 800 and can see paths etc on the maps.

br
    Free Member

It’s not hard.

Just buy the 1:25000 OS map and highlight all BW’s – then go out riding/exploring.

Hint – bloody loads of routes, all over the Chilterns.

onlysteel
    Free Member

As per b r, OS is your friend around here. If you want some reliable, tried & tested routes have a look at the Rough Ride Guide books – was doing the Chilterns guide with the supplementary pack thrown in last time I looked. Bargaintastic!

teasel
    Free Member

I’m local to the valley and can show you around the very local stuff as long as you promise, nay, swear on your testicles that you’ll forget all about them should someone else enquire.

Haven’t done any off-road for what seems like ages, opting instead for the local roads, so I don’t have any idea how the trails are holding up at the moment but there’s a good possibility they’ll be dryish.

I’ll email you if you’re interested…

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Defo up for that Teasel email in profile thnx

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chilterns High Wycombe area etc’ is closed to new replies.