Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Chiltern Rail and Oyster card and chilfren fares help
  • jeffl

So we’re looking to go and visit the Natural History Museum in London over the Christmas period. Will be staying with family in High Wycombe and looking at the various travel options London Underground from Amersham seems to be the best bet.

Plan on using the Oyster card/contactless on account of the daily cost cap with TFL. There will be two adults and two children (6 and 8). Looking at the TFL website children can travel for free with an adult.

However Chiltern Rail also run from Amersham and are a lot quicker. Looking at their website you can use the Oyster card which is fine but I’m unclear on two points.

1. Does the daily cap that TFL apply to Oyster/contactless also include Chiltern Rail. I’m guessing it will as it’s effectively the station that you tap in and out of, not the train.

2. Will we have to pay for the kids on Chiltern Rail train. Looking at their FAQs we would.

Thanks in advance.

lucien

Daily cap applies to TFL not railways – basically you’d get it on the tube but not on rail. I can’t answer the question on children’s railway journey costs. Finally yes rail is likely to be quicker than the tube. Good luck

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Does the daily cap that TFL apply to Oyster/contactless also include Chiltern Rail. I’m guessing it will as it’s effectively the station that you tap in and out of, not the train.

I’d say this (well it’s what I do with my kids coming in from the other side of london on Great Eastern trains)… but just check at the station in the morning !?!

Dont forget the science museum around the corner. Make sure you go up to the the “interactive” area on the 5 or 6 floor … after walking around all day looking but not really touching your kids will love it.

Have fun

Murray

I live in Amersham and use the tube with children so have done this.

Amersham is the last station in the Oyster/Contactless zone. Fares are capped in the zone for both Chiltern Railways and Underground – I have my contactless statements to prove it.

One station out at Great Missenden the fares are not capped.

Edit – added link

jeffl

Great thanks all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Chiltern Rail and Oyster card and chilfren fares help’ is closed to new replies.