Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chilterns – Local knowledge requested
  • thepurist

Can anyone point me at some good routes that are drying up nicely now spring is finally making an appearance. I’ve suggested some longer days out to MrsP but don’t want the grief that results from guiding her down the boggiest claggiest trail from hell.

Preferably around the 20 mile mark, and even better if it’s in the southern/western part rather than too far round to the north. I’ve done a few rides around Ibstone/Christmas Common etc but can never remember what’s worth going back to.

Thanks!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Call Trimix to the forum

soobalias
    Free Member

get your OS and get out there quick, before it rains

everything passable yesterday

petec
    Free Member

I put this together for a team cycle last year that never actually happened.

50km, couple of quiet roads, but good XC as well.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ashridge this time of year is utterly gorgeous as the bluebells show off*. Pretty easy to sort a loop using either Tring or Wendover as a base**; you can head out towards High Wycombe or Ashridge, or both, and the Grand Union is always a good get-out-of-jail card.

Aston Hill is always a good gauge as it’s a north-facing, chalk and clay based hill. Last weekend it was lovely by all accounts.

*Some off-piste required. Guide recommended.

**Former Tring resident, so there may be some cheek involved in my mental mapping, or changes on the ground.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Christmas Common
    Nettlebed
    Pishill
    North End

And of course the Ridgeway

Just get the OS map out and follow your nose

Trimix
    Free Member

I’m up there tomorrow – email me if you want to join us for a ride.

But as “flashinthepan” says – get an OS map any go explore. If you don’t like the trail your on, give it a few yards and there will be another along soon for you to take.

If you insist on doing only bridleways, then you can still do a good ride, just takes more effort and misses out some real gems 🙂

adsh
    Free Member

The depths of the woods will still have some mud but anywhere else is bone dry.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hi peteC your route is nt public

petec
    Free Member

sorry – try now

scu98rkr
    Free Member

cheers

Trimix
    Free Member

petec – still not working for me 🙁

petec
    Free Member

seems to keep reverting back to friends only. I’ve changed it again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chilterns – Local knowledge requested’ is closed to new replies.