Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Child's play is not, well, child's play, apparently
  • molgrips
    Free Member

In whose opinion?

Er.. the kids? Other adults? Social services? It’s hard to defend the stuff that many parents do.

There’s the difference. I have faith (perhaps naively)? in the ‘good’ of people and think that those with ‘bad intentions’ are in the extreme minority

Yes, those with bad intentions are in the extreme minority. However those who don’t realise that they are parenting badly are not.

I just don’t see the point in telling already stressed, overworked, time poor parents, the blindingly obvious that they ‘should’ spend more time with their children

Two things here:

a) It’s very important to the wellbeing of children for their parents to spend good quality time with them. It should be part of parenting.

b) Many people need telling, because they don’t really understand their own kids.

c) I see no evidence that the plan is to simply issue orders like you describe

There are loads of websites offering parenting advice, and where people can share tips. Are they wrong too?

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Mrs Pollock in her work has to implement many of these ‘initiatives’ on quite a regular basis. Many are useless and achieve very little.

However those who don’t realise that they are parenting badly are not.

Who sits in judgement of what defines ‘bad parenting’. Oh sorry I forgot that’ll be Mumsnet!

I’ve never said that

the plan is to simply issue orders

but these commissioned surveys and research often are incorporated into a ‘national stratagy’ for people like Mrs P to implement in schools, nurserys etc.

FWIW she thinks that its all bobbins as well!

molgrips
    Free Member

Who sits in judgement of what defines ‘bad parenting’.

A consensus could be achieved in a lot of cases based on the happiness of the children; the opportunites for fun and development presented to them; their emotional wellbeing and security; their behaviour and approach to society, etc etc.

However bad parenting does not need to be defined for this. If it’s just advice in a readily available format, then that’s all it is. No-one needs to categorise anybody.

I think you are being rather prejudicial. It may well turn out to be bobbins, but there’s no point moaning about how bad it is on the internet before it even exists.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

but there’s no point moaning about how bad it is on the internet before it even exists

Fair point. Just having a general discussion rather than drilling down into the minutiae of the OPs article.

As I said earlier IMO-

Its lowest common denominator thinking, prays on new parents natural insecurities (i.e. I’m I doing right by my child) and IMO is the very worst example of the ‘nanny state’.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Child's play is not, well, child's play, apparently’ is closed to new replies.