• This topic has 35 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Children cage fighting.
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

What’s people’s opinions on this? A few headlines today on a fight between two 8 year olds. My ADHD nephew has been doing MMA for a few months his behaviour has hugely improved and he’s a lot more calm. I don’t know how I’d feel about him having a sanctioned fight though.

racefaceec90

was just watching the news about it.i don’t think that kids should be fighting for a crowd like the report was showing. if they were supervised by responsible adults though (in a safe environment) with no dangerous moves allowed,then i don’t see the problem (am thinking judo e.t.c)

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I was surprised they didn’t have head guards to be honest.

donsimon
    Free Member

I can remember doing Jiu-Jitsu in front of a crowd many years ago, back then it was called a demonstration. Fortunately we didn’t live in a knee jerking, polarised society. People just got on with their own lives.

duntstick
    Free Member

Go on son, hit him, that’s my boy that is. You’ve got him now whack him, not like that, oh god. tch, what’s up with you lad, hit him, oh no, damn. Useless little sh!t…..just like your Mother. etc………

Too open to abuse by stupid adults imo

Have you ever seen parents at kids football

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

The environment was wrong as in a working men’s club full of drinking punters. But the kids grappling I had no problem with. Head guards are not required because punching and kicking is not allowed. It was very similar to greco roman wrestling which is an olympic sport.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think some parents at kids’ football matches should be caged. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    I think some parents at kids’ football matches should be caged

Sadly, very sadly, this also applies to some rugby matches. 🙁

Coyote
    Free Member

To go along with what bjj.andy.w said, the environment was not appropriate. I practiced and competed at Karate tournaments for several years and one thing I was never quite comfortable was kumite for the under 11s. I personally don’t think they are ready for spectator competition at that age. Sparring in the dojo, yes but not at comp.

However, as none of us were there I don’t think that we can judge exactly what was going on. Apart from the inappropriate environment I haven’t see any evidence of children being put at risk of harm.

woody2000

Wrestling – no problem

Wrestling for adult entertainment – big problem

Is where I am.

🙂

epicyclo

Hysterical reaction to what was basically kids wrestling.

At that age we were boxing.

AndyRT
    Free Member

+1 woody

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Children wrestling – no problem

Children wrestling for adult entertainment – big problem

One minor change, but otherwise I’m with you.

bikebouy
    Free Member

+1 for CaptainFlasheart (and woody)

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’m sure these kids will grow up to be the next Raoul Moat. Probably coached into being a mentally unstable steroid freak who never ever made his dad’s expectations and as a result shunned by the pushy parents for not being like their parents. Let’s face it, it was wrestling but the environment was wrong. If 10 year old girls were doing gymnastics in a lap dance bar it would be no different

yoshimi

So far, pretty much everything that has been said on here I agree with.

So, seeing that STW can usually argue about anything with each other, where is this ‘outrage’ I’ve heard about? Oh thats right, breakfast TV programs!

davetrave
    Free Member

+1 for CFH and Woody. Yes, we don’t know the full story, context, etc, but from what was reported it was 1 children’s fight in a programme of adult bouts = adult entertainment = not appropriate environment.

But then parents let their offspring watch the glamourised (staged) violence of WWE and the like, so what should you expect…

Harrumph…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks STW’ers. Helped clear up what I was trying to say. I know this will be discussed soon with reference to my nephew in my OP. Its not the activity I have a problem with but the nature of the event (or at least how it’s been portrayed in media – I wasn’t there) apparently there were ring girls holding fight cards, drinking etc.

My nephews Dojo don’t allow strikes to the face, but still have to wear head guards. Joining a reputable MMA Academy has been really good for him. He’s more disciplined and is involved in fewer fights, hes controlling his anger. He’s also been taught by the Dojo to sit quiet and think about things, something his family, friends and teachers have failed at.

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Children involved in sport shocker………..feed them more twinky’s!!!

binners

FFS! Talk about terrible parenting!!! Why aren’t they sat in front of their Playstations killing people, while eating Happy Meals and drinking Sunny Delight? Eh?

Perish the thought they could be involved in a sport that might keep them fit and teach them discipline?

Its the rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth reporters that need caging IMHO

terrahawk
    Free Member

I thought they both looked a bit soft TBH. When I was 8 I’d have twatted the pair of them. And their dads.
    🙂

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s much difference between this and any other martial arts or boxing – it’s good physical exercise and can instil discipline and respect if done right.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I didn’t think it looked too different to the Judo my lad was doing at that age. It was competition with an audience, so are kiddies footy matches.

ollie
    Free Member

I’m a big MMA fan and when I heard this on the news I was shocked, But when I actually watched the footage It was clear there was no striking and It was just grappling, Hence I have no problem with It.
    As soon as the word ‘cage’ I knew what way the story was going to go, which Is the same way as all the ‘cyclist’ stories go.

The venue was a very poor choice though for kids.

DezB
    Free Member

The environment was wrong as in a working men’s club full of drinking punters.

Er, do you expect them to put on a special show at the school or something? No parents allowed?
    It was obvious to me that it was put on as a novelty bout during part of a full show. At first I thought, thats not good, no headguards or gloves – then the report said they weren’t allowed to kick or punch! So what they were doing was more tame than a playground scrap!
    Fuss about absolutely nothing.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I didn’t think it looked too different to the Judo my lad was doing at that age. It was competition with an audience, so are kiddies footy matches.

You’ve missed the point completely. Are the judo matches and football matches in an ‘arena’ commonly associated with a more aggressive, lethal version of the sport??

They do grappling in american schools but on judo mats instead of cages

philconsequence
    Free Member

THIS IS DISGUSTING IT COULD BE A KIDS FACE NEXT TIME, DOG CRAP HANGING FROM TREES, RISERS WITH BAR ENDS!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Personally think the “sport” is a bit barbaric and not to be encouraged anyway, not sure why you’d encourage kids to do it.

DezB
    Free Member

PHIL – ROADIES ARE MISERABLE!

binners

I think we’re all missing an essential, and deeply worrying point here. Cage fighters? Someone with a penchant for them might be on the look out for husband number …erm… ten is it?

FOR GODS SAKE!!! WILL SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!

slowrider
    Free Member

I honestly dont see anything at all wrong with the whole scenario.

at my house around 5pm (just before tea is ready) both kids are shoved in a cage along with our two pitbulls and forced to fight. the last one conscious gets fed that day. get over it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are the judo matches and football matches in an ‘arena’ commonly associated with a more aggressive, lethal version of the sport??

what like boxing with guards and boxing without guards? Deaths occur in boxing for example.
    the fact it is called Cage fighting does not help it tbh

I would agree they are too young for kumite [sparring] let alone proper [pretend]fights
    I would worry about locks at that age [ are the joints not more prone to injury ?] and the ability to control their force tbh.

thomthumb
    Free Member

if it was boxing it would be ok; i think it shows public ignorance of ‘cage fighting’ or MMA

trailmonkey

i thought it was about as tacky as other forms of cage fighting.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Cage fighting ban in 5.4.3.2.1

DezB
    Free Member

Just seen on 5 News a bloke from the NSPCC compared it to bear bating and cock fighting… I quite literally LOL’ed

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Children cage fighting.’ is closed to new replies.