Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Child Stokers
  • Xylene
    Free Member

An opportunity has arisen to pick up a Cannondale Tandem in S/L sizing, which will just about fit me, and would in theory allow my daughter to grow into.

At this moment, being 5 she is too small, and after a google, I discovered child stoker kits.

anybody had any experience of them? Anything to look out for or ones to avoid?

She currently rides on a tag along with me, which is ok, and on the most part she stays on it, but does have the odd hairy moment when she is wiggling around behind me.

The only time she has fallen off was at low speed on the driveway, when she decided to take both hands off to eat a crips and take a drink, that was a lesson learned and not repeated.

antigee

definitely better than having a teen on the front – made that mistake once only

older small antigee did stoking duties with me (edit aged 8/9ish) – used crank shorteners and those curly touring bars on what is a pretty small frame to start with

one thing to be careful on is the little un’ losing the pedals and getting big time pedal strike – used toe clips and tight straps but wasn’t popular and one of the reasons gave up

Xylene
    Free Member

^ I’ve seen a few comments about using toe clips, I assume that the pedals must go around on the stoker cranks if the front is going, there is no freewheel setup.

Just under 600 quid for the cannondale with a newer groupset on it.

TiRed

Have a lot of experience of small children on my kiddyback. The thing about stoker kits is that the child sits a lot higher up. For handling there will be a small effect, but the biggest issue is climbing on and off!

You will also need an extending stoker stem to bring the bars much closer.

Toeclips have always been a must,in a small size. It keeps their feet planted and that’s important when there is no independent coasting.

I added a child-specific saddle and crank shorteners too.

One complication is that crank adaptors normally bolt to the seattube. They were historically for steel frames and hence small diameters. Cannondales, whilst lovely bikes, use oversize aluminium and either the adaptor may not fit, or I’d be wary of crushing the tube.

For a five yo girl, you would see better value sourcing a proper used kiddyback: either a Thorn or (rare as ever) a Dawes Toucan. It will last you eight years and you will easily pass it on. The Tandem Club wanted pages is a good start.

But buy now! I’ve ridden 1000s of miles with small children (see some previous posts) and it provides by far and away the most smiles/mile of any bike I have ever owned. I can’t recommend them enough. Tag alongs do not come close.

antigee

I assume that the pedals must go around on the stoker cranks if the front is going

correct – its sort of one continous chain to the rear hub so need to develop a set of instructions for starting, slowing, freewheeling, stopping – if on roads be very careful pulling out a junctions allow more time than you think can possibly need in case of error setting off – i also recall put a bigger cassette on back as little one are naturally spinners

having said all that it really is great fun – enjoy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Child Stokers’ is closed to new replies.