Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Child carriers, as in the backpack variety…
  • Tracker1972
    Free Member

Anybody know anywhere near Chesterfield/Sheffield that carries, preferably a range, of child carriers?
    Back in the summer saw a Vaude Jolly Comfort I think. Seemed about right, enough space to be useful, enough adjustment to be comfortable for carrier and carry-ee.
    If I promise to not use it whilst on the bike can you let me in on somewhere we can try a few?
    Thanks!

Stoner
    Free Member

where ever you end up, when you test a backpack ask for a 20Kg dummy weight and walk around for at least 5 minutes if not 10 with each one.

Turns out both models that we’ve owned give me a dead leg no matter how I adjust them. Unfortunately despite what they say I dont think the manufacturers genuinely aim to accommodate all physiques (I’m 6’4″ with a fairly long body) as well as hiking backpack manufacturers do.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

The guy at Gaynors was very good, said we should give it a good try out, for a while and, quite refreshingly, said he wouldn’t be happy selling us one as our daughter wasn’t big enough to get in properly so we couldn’t try it out adequately. Wasn’t going to get one there and then anyway, but it was nice to hear.
    Heavy dummy for a while sound like a good plan though, might take something suitable if I can find something to make sure.

Just where to go really…

carlosg
    Free Member

Not sure where you might get one from but we had a Kelty ‘Meadow’ backpack , it was great till our son got to 2.5 and started to get too heavy.

http://keltymeadow.com/

igm

Little Trekkers were good More Barnsley than Sheffield but a good shop.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

The Cotswold shops carry the Littlelife range if you have one near you.

When you’re trying them out defo take the wee one with you, we tried four different brands and ended up going for the Littlelife Cross Country, it just seemed to fit my back the best and was the easiest to get baby in and out by myself.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I recently bought a macpac Vamoose after looking at various options. Went for that as macpac make proper rucksacs so know how to make a good back system. We tried several at Outside in hathersage, which was good as it turns out that they come up a bit short in the back – had to order the size 3 even though I am only 5’10”. Have found that we use it a lot, even in town where a buggy is awkward to wheel around. As said above though, try them for size, and take your child with you to test them in the carrier in the shop

biker66
    Free Member

I have the kid comfort 2. It’s got all the bells and whistles, not that cheap but very comfortable. The sun and rain cover is really usefull too.
    Before that, up to about 14 months I was using an old Karrimor one bought from e-bay for 20 quid. Fine to start with but she got heavy quickly. I really love the backpack though, and used it instead of a buggy whenever I took her out until I got knocked back by a hernia ( not to do with carrying her).

Tracker1972
    Free Member

igm-ahh, the site I linked to in my first post? Never thought to see where they were 🙂 might call them to see how the roads are looking but it isn’t too far, especially as they seem to have a big range.
    There is a fairly new Cotswold shop in Bakewell (well, new to me) so I may give them a buzz to see what they have in.
    Thank you both but…
    anyone got anywhere even nearer/better? (Little Trekkers could be hard to beat though).

TooTall
    Free Member

Stoner – the Little Life Cross Country fits me at 6’7″ – but the old model not the new one. E Bay for the win and the nice cheapness.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

hmmm, somehow missed a couple as I was typing, Outside in Hathersage, getting nearer to home I think and could nip along to Ladybower for a stroll, always looks good in the snow. Think it was Jolly comfort, not kid comfort we tried, although changing names on essentially the same product is how the “outdoor pursuits” industry works is it not? Certainly seemed well thought out and comfy.
    Anyway, thanks for the ideas/tips so far, any more?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its very difficult to get all the makes in one place.

Little Trekkers (Penistone) appears to be on of few in the area that stocks most brands. When we spoke to them they said they have most in the warehouse and would be willing to get them out for us to try out.

In the end we just got a Little Life Freedom from Cotwolds as we managed to get 20% off and after trying Deuter, Bushbaby and Vaude, Mrs FD and I found it the most comfortable.

Things I would say to look out for are:

* A big carry space to put nappies, wipes, food etc etc in.

* Easy access to external pockets for just stuffing stuff in to easily and quickly, we really glad we got the one we did with easy access external pockets.

* Sounds daft but a mirror or some where to attach one. I know if I go out walking with Junior FD its handy to be able to see him in case his hat has fallen over his eyes etc.

* Some kind of additonal neck/head support. My son went in since 5 months old and still at nearly 8 months likes some hea/neck support after about 45 mins.

* Sun cannopy. Ours came with one, but wouldnt be without it, helps shiled from the wind as well as sun, mainly though Junior FD rests his head against it.

* The Littlelife have what they call an anchor point, basically a hole you can stuff your foot in which keeps the pack stable whilst you put your son/daughter in. This is a realy help if your by yourself.

igm

Tracker – when I was there (year or two ago now) they had a very good range in a somewhat cramped showroom – but they didn’t have everything that is on their website, so worth ringing first. Also I remember it being up on the tops, so weather is an issue. But helpful people when I was there. We went for the Littlelife Cross Country with the full length rain cover. A full length rain cover is worth it whatever brand you go for as it creates their own micro climate (OK green house) which meant we could take our little boy up to the top of Courchevel in February without him getting cold. Sunshades are good for the obvious opposite reason.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Right, phone ahead seems to be pretty essential then. Only problem could be that they have so many other cool bits, could get out of hand especially if we have to kill half an hour or so as we walk around with it…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Child carriers, as in the backpack variety…’ is closed to new replies.