Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Child bicycle seat advice
  • julians
    Free Member

Hi all,

Can anyone offer any advice on which is the best seat to buy to take the boy out on my bike with me?

My bike is an ibis mojo HD, so whatever seat I get needs to work with that, and ideally also fit my wifes specialized hardrock.

Any info gratefully received.

He is nearly one and a half years old if that make any difference

tinsy
    Free Member

Weeride.

druidh
    Free Member

You are going to struggle to get any sort of child seat to fit onto a Mojo frame, especially as many of them involve a clamping force round the tubes.

The Hardrock will be much simpler.

I hate the whole concept of Weerides*. IMHO, a baby is not a suitable replacement for an air bag.

* I accept that this may be unjustified.

julians
    Free Member

I do wonder whether it will be impossible on the Mojo.

I have seen the weeride, and it looks like it might work, but have a few questions:-

– doesnt the seat get in the way of your knees when pedalling?
    – Can you still comfortably reach the handlebars and steer with the huge seat and child between you and the bars?

Maybe a trailer is better?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Weeride is great. I love it and the people I’ve recommended it to love it. Child can see where it’s going instead of looking up your ass.

You do have to ride with knees apart a bit, so I swapped to flats and that worked just fine. Both my kids can’t get enough of going out on it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Someone was selling a LOCT on here a few days ago. that would be perfect once they’re older.

tonyd

+1 on the weeride, my eldest loved it and now his little brother is in it and loves it too. You do have to ride a bit knees out, but it’s unlikely you’ll be going too far/long and the benefit from having him up front far outweighs any discomfort.

Only issue for me with the weeride was the big/heavy mounting bar, you can take it on/off but seemed like a lot of faff so I stuck it on the wife’s hardrock and used that.

You should be fine with reach also, although as my eldest starting getting bigger I put an adjustable stem on the bike to bring the bars up a bit and give him some more room.

I wouldn’t get a rear mounted seat, I recently got a second hand Hamax for the eldest (2.5) and neither of us liked it. He was totally disengaged, going from chatty and excited in the weeride to asleep in the Hamax. The whole thing felt unstable and swung the bike all over the place (old steel framed MTB so admittedly flexy).

I was lucky enough to find a LOCT seat for the eldest, picked it up at the weekend (thanks Jason) and took him straight out. He’s back to his normal self on the bike – jibber jabbering away, pointing, etc.

Bottom line – get them where they can see what’s going on, it’s much more fun for them.

tonyd

Someone was selling a LOCT on here a few days ago

That may be the one I bought! Been looking for ages, and you’re right – perfect for about 2.5 up. You can feel them starting to lean with the bike, hands are on the bars so getting a feel for steering etc. Superb seat.

boxfish
    Free Member

Been riding with one of these with my daughter for almost 2 years.

tinsy
    Free Member

This is quite a bit less safe than the Weeride. 🙂
    Druidh, you really have to try one, the difference between it & a rear mount one is night and day. So much better.

binners

Whatever seat you decide on, If you’re going to be out a lot, I’d buy yourself a cheap hardtail. A modern full-suss like a Mojo is not only unfriendly to child seats, but will be when you graduate onto trailers, tag-alongs too.

I used a Hammax Kiss child seat. If you’ve a cheap hardtail you can leave the clamp on the frame, and clip the seat off in seconds. You can then get another clamp for the wifes specialized hardrock, and you can swap the seat over in seconds. Handy. My mum and dad both ended up with clamps permanently on their frames too. So both girls had a variety of chauffeurs utilising the same seat

I’m sure someone recently posted up that they were on offer somewhere

tonyd

+1 cheap hardtail. Weeride is on the wifes hardrock, LOCT is on my old kona. I couldn’t imagine what a tool I’d feel riding down the canal towpath for a nice family bike ride on my Five (or Soul).

passtherizla
    Free Member

+1 cheap hardtail. Weeride is on the wifes hardrock, LOCT is on my old kona. I couldn’t imagine what a tool I’d feel riding down the canal towpath for a nice family bike ride on my Five (or Soul).

The weeride is on my hardtail (still a 456 with pikes)… I’m going to Tissington with the little one and better half on Saturday, She’ll be on my Hardtail, I’ll be riding my Meta 😳 but then enjoying time with family is more important than what other people think of me… they’re the only bikes i got.

garage-dweller

We have a topeak rack mounted one that works well. I bought a 456 to put it on. You could also go for a budget hybrid, bigger wheels will make it roll nicer.

sgn23
    Free Member

I’ve used an iBert Safe-t-Seat on my hardtail. Having the weight up front over the bars makes it much more stable than a rear seat and you also get to talk to the child as you’re going along. It can be quickly removed too – in a few seconds if you don’t mind riding with a metal bar pointing at your bits (though that just needs a hex key to remove it). As the child’s legs go either side of the stem, you almost eliminate the “knees apart” riding style of the Weeride.
    The downside is my average sized boy had grown out of it by 3 when other seats would still fit him, though he’s riding by himself now. It’s also a bit expensive.

bryan-g-

Weeride are good As the child is not getting a face full of ass and your arms are giving side protection also it feels a lot more stable than having a seat swinging about behind you and the padded rest infront is good for resting sleeping heads on. Down side is I find I bang my knees on it occasional and it’s hard to fit the mounting bracket unless the head tube sits high over top of top tube.

transapp
    Free Member

+1 on the weeride. I don’t have room for another bike and get it on my giant anthem fine (ok needed to get longer bolts for the head tube). All that’s said above is true, they do effect you knees a bit and I think you’ll suddenly find quite how far off the ground you are on a full sus – you’ll have to plan the dismounts and riding in traffic well as you need to get your leg over the back sharpish!

binners

Just had a look and the Hamax Kiss are presently half price at Halfords, should that be what you fancy – though the weeride is looking like the STW votewinner

cheap as chips Hamax kiss

tinsy
    Free Member

Dont want to start an argument binners, but weeride sell for loads 2nd hand, so though initial outlay is a bit feirce, they can work out reasonable enough. That Hammax is cheap though.

However that said if you buy a 2nd hand Weeride make sure its the later/current one as the mounting bracket has been improved somewhat over early ones.

mrsflash
    Free Member

WE have a hammax we are looking to sell if you are interested.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Child bicycle seat advice’ is closed to new replies.