Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Chicksands/Thetford tyres – recommendations.
  • prezet
    Free Member

Looking for a set of tyres that I can use for Thetford on the XC rides, but will still be grippy enough to hold up to a bit of ragging around at Chicky.

Any suggestions?

Currently running a High Roller 2.35 front, and a Larsen 2.35 rear. Although they handle most things well, they feel a little sluggish at spinning up.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

They sound fine. Maybe a 2.0 Larsen on the rear?

Or 2.2 Rubber Queens? Used both in Thetters.

colournoise

My Michelin Wild Grip’rs (2.25 front, 2.10 rear) haven’t let me down yet around Thetford. Not been to the ‘sands, but they have been ‘ragged’ around Laggan, Moray & Brechfa with no issues.

slainte 😀 rob

buttercup
    Free Member

That HR front is going to wash out like nobody’s business in Thet.

what is your rig, when will you ride?
    It’s going to get really slogged here soon Thetford way. Especially on the weekends.
    I run 2.1 ADvantages both ends. Sometimes a HR in the rear. 30psi.. No problems.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I ride Chicksands a fair bit and Thetford a bit, i run Nobby Nics all year, however in summer next year i will be going over to a lower profile Maxxis Aspen or Racing Ralph kind of thing. The trails at Chicksands dry off quite well so are not too muddy in the fouler weather.

prezet
    Free Member

Funny you should say that. Happened a fair bit on Sundays morning ride.

Riding a BFe, normally try to get to Thetford at least every other weekend for a fitness ride on a Sunday morning. Did notice that the areas unprotected by the trees are getting boggy already.

I ride Chicksands a fair bit and Thetford a bit, i run Nobby Nics all year

Been looking at the Nics – what width do you run?

stumpy01

Speed Kings cope well at Thetford for most of the year, although struggle in the deep sand when it’s been dry for ages. Not sure there is a tyre that can cope with that though.

When it’s really wet, I use Continental Edge, but they are not so grippy on the drier sections of Thetford, so it has to be properly wet to put them on.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Really? I rode Thet lots for several years, which incuded time on HRs. You need to lean them, but otherwise zero issues.

qwerty
    Free Member

HUTCHINSON Pythons

bigbloke
    Free Member

Been looking at the Nics – what width do you run?

I run 2.25 with no issues.

grahamt1980

High rollers washing out?

I have been riding panaracer razors all year, and they were fine at thetford. Much fun drifting both wheels into corners

gringojimi
    Free Member

Another vote for Nobby Nics here.

buttercup
    Free Member

Perhaps I am just not a HR front kind of guy then. 😛 I have never lost more front end control than when I went back to HRs in Thet. Love them on the back.. but just bomb it when they are up front.

kayak23

One word….. Kenda small block eights.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Both places are what I consider “home turf”
    I’d get away with small block 8s at both until it gets really soggy. The bottom singletrack at chicky will get horrid and there are places in Thetters that don’t dry out.
    That said, I’m currently using:
    A. DHF front &
    2. High roller 2 rear,

but that is coz I’m mostly riding at woburn ATM

& BTW: kayak23> loving your work! “one word” LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Chicksands/Thetford tyres – recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.