Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Chicken curry recipes.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hey all STW folk. I’m looking for a nice chicken curry recipe. I don’t want it to have too many ingredients (too time consuming ), or too little either (usually means using curry paste or something like that when I prefer to mix my own spices). I had one bookmarked online for a while that I really liked, it was with coconut milk, fresh ginger tomato and onion with a few spices like cummin and ground coriander etc. I can’t remember the rest all though. But about 6-8 ingredients is the sweet spot I think!
    Oh and I don’t mind if it’s Indian or Thai, I like both. With chicken ? .

Any links for nice ones online or full typed recipes would be appreciated!

Ta!

Stoner
    Free Member

I know it’s a packet, but this bag of spice from Geeta is absolutley fantastic

Often only 50p on half price sale in Morrisons.

Marinade chicken thight fillets in spices and pot of yoghurt. Then either grill or my preference is to cook in a large saute pan covered. Gorgeous.

Ingredients:
    Paprika, Salt, Dried Garlic, Roasted Coriander (9%), Turmeric, Dried Mint, Dried Ginger, Roasted Cumin, Cardamom (3%), Dried Lemon Juice, Chilli (2%), Fenugreek, Ajwain Seeds, Mace, Nutmeg, Dried Coriander Leaf, Black Pepper, Clove, Cinnamon, Black Cumin, Bay.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Looks good. I havent sen them in Tesco though and I don’t have a Morrisons here

gonzy
    Free Member

to make from fresh you need
    chop 2-3 onions and place in a pan with oil
    add salt and pepper
    add a couple of chopped cloves of garlic and a bit of ginger
    cook stirring occasionally until the onions have gone soft
    add 4 chopped tomatoes
    add a few bay leaves, 3 fresh cardamom pods and a couple of pieces of cassia bark..you can also add star aniseed if needed
    continue to cook
    then add paprika
    add curry powder
    add garam masala
    add corriander powder
    add madras powder or chilli powder if you want it hot
    you could also add fresh green chillis if you want at this stage
    add a bit of water or tomato paste to stop the sauce from drying out
    add the chicken
    add more water as stock and let it cook
    add extra ingredients such as peppers etc near the end so they dont overcook
    once the curry is nearly done and then add freshly chopped corriander

the finished article…

michaelmcc
    Free Member

That looks a treat Gonzy! I might leave out the Paprika though.

gonzy
    Free Member

I might leave out the Paprika though.

paprika is not an essential spice…we only add it for the colour it gives…but you have to get the amount you use right or else the curry will end up being a very dark red…we only add half or a full table spoon depending on the size of the curry

EDIT: most of the above ingredients are now readily available in places like Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Asda…(although i’m not sure about Morrison’s) so you dont necessarily need an asian shop
    use fresh where possible…my wife prefers to use frozen garlic and ginger from the supermarket

grum
    Free Member

Most curry recipes seem to tell you to fry all the spices first. You disagree gonzy?

gonzy
    Free Member

fry all the spices first

the curry sauce is the foundation that all curry’s are based on. this is either made with onions or a tomato base.
    you normally add salt and pepper to the onions and let it cook until soft then add all your spices in to make your curry sauce…this is what gives it the flavour
    if what you mean is stick the spices in a frying pan and toast them to release the flavours…some people do that but what you are actually doing in this process is losing some of the flavour…the only thing this does is make the curry more aromatic or pungent

so yes i kind of do disagree with this.

the only time we toast are dried chillies or chilli flakes as this technique does release more flavours and heat

coming from a family that has been involved in the indian restaurant trade for over 30 years i’ve never seen this technique being used
    i have plenty of other friends and extended family in the trade and they dont use this technique either

EDIT: i’m not saying that the roasting spices technique is a complete no-no…its just that i just dont think it adds any more flavour to a curry but will make it smell more
    also it adds an extra step to the process which is time consuming…without doing this you can easily cook 2-3 curry’s in less than an hour…add the toasting technique and it takes longer

onewheelgood
    ninfan
    Free Member

My favourite base curry sauce – batch of this works with anything, great with chicken!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVYLbwWf8UU[/video]

grum
    Free Member

if what you mean is stick the spices in a frying pan and toast them to release the flavours…some people do that but what you are actually doing in this process is losing some of the flavour…the only thing this does is make the curry more aromatic or pungent

Yeah I wondered about this. I sometimes do, sometimes don’t – can’t say I’ve ever noticed a difference.

speed12
    Free Member

For something a little different…

Kurumulakittu Varattiya Nadan Kozhi

Totally unpronounceable but ruddy amazing – the heat is black pepper based rather than chilli and so it is much more of a warm, aromatic heat than a sharp spice. Properly properly good.

speed12
    Free Member

Hmm….that didn’t work did it….the URL is still there to extract…

mogrim

Totally unpronounceable but ruddy amazing – the heat is black pepper based rather than chilli and so it is much more of a warm, aromatic heat than a sharp spice. Properly properly good.

5 green chillis and 3.5 tbsp of black pepper????

Cougar

that didn’t work did it

FTFY.

chambord
    Free Member

Disclaimer: I’m not very good at cooking curry

The best tip I have with chicken curry is that adding the chicken to poach in the sauce makes it far more juicy and delicious than if you cook it off first with the onions.

This may be common knowledge for the chefs here but was a bit of a revelation when I realised this 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

than if you cook it off first with the onions.

chicken is quite a soft and tender meat so it doesnt take long to cook…the onions are one of the first ingredients to go in and if you put the chicken in with the onions there is a strong chance that it will overcook and become tough to chew

chambord
    Free Member

it will overcook and become tough to chew

Exactly. I normally brown off meat in the pan because that’s what chefs on TV always seem to do but with chicken curry this is not the way to go!

speed12
    Free Member

5 green chillis and 3.5 tbsp of black pepper????

Yeah, still chilli in it, but the heat comes from the pepper – difficult to describe but properly nice.

Takes about a week to grind that much pepper for it…

gonzy
    Free Member

i’d been looking for something pretty hot for a while that didnt have a pungent smell and found this in Sainsbury’s. we took one to BPW and left it there in the cafe…upon tasting, it didnt seem very hot.
    i bought one for the house last week and opened it up on saturday night…although the same sauce this one seemed much hotter and seemed to be even hotter on the following day…i’m putting the BPW bottle down to being a duffer
    i’m pretty sure we’ll be adding this to a curry at some point to give it some kick…

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Well, hope youre all happy now, Im sat here in my site cabin on a sewage works salivating like a ravenous hound!

Inspiration for this evenings meal sorted though 😀

jkomo

Bookmarked

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tick!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Chicken curry recipes.’ is closed to new replies.