Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chest pain 3 weeks after falling off – what to do?
  • wwaswas

fell off on top of a raised section, as a result my chest hit the edge of the raised mound of earth before my weight was taken by my hands which were lower down. Bit of an ‘ooooof’ as air forced out of my lungs and some discomfort but finshed the ride.

followign day hurt (a lot) if I coughed sneezed or laughed but this settled down over the next few days. There was never any visible bruising.

I went to see my GP after a week as it wans’t really getting any better – still hurts if I breathe too deeply reach my arm over head height or cough quickly. He squeezed my chest and said he didn’t think it was broken and to just keep my arm moving and give it time.

So, a week+ later I’m still unable to lay on that side, and the above symptoms still apply – there’s two ‘sore points’ about 8 inches apart on my left rib cage – one at the bottom and one just under my armpit.

Do I just give it more time or look to get some physio?

Not riding is getting to be a bit of a pain 🙁

MRanger156
    Free Member

I had similar although not quite as bad. After about 3 weeks mine has almost gone and I’m guessing it was just strained muscles around my ribs.

alfabus
    Free Member

sounds like one of bruised / sprained / broken ribs.

any of those I’d expect to be hurting 3 weeks after the event… sprained or broken, you’ll probably still be feeling after 2-3 months in my experience.

I’ve bashed myself in the ribs a lot… probably about 8 rib breaks, and another few that have been bad spraining of the muscles between… last one was when I took a saddle in the stomach in the alps at the start of August, it just clipped the floating bottom rib on my RHS – still can’t lie comfortably on that side.

Dave

totalshell

broke my ribs and couldnt sneeze without real pain for 8 years!! chest muscle is complex and the slightest tears and strains can take for ever the best advice is to keep moving .. it ll take a long time but will get better.

wwaswas

cheers – I’ll just give it more time then 🙁

donsimon
    Free Member

Take some pain killers and anti imflmmatories as you’ll need to breathe deeply to prevent infection, this action can be painful as can sneezing or coughing. And then, as you say, just wait.

wwaswas

I’ve been ridign around town a bit and it’s not too bad as long as I don;t pull on the bars too much going up hills so that’s helped with breathing and been careful to keep breathing deeply when I’m working – as you say, you subconsiously breathe shallowly and end up getting a bit phlegmy.

oldgit
    Free Member

Just give it a bit more time, five weeks is about average. You may have torn something.
    When I tore that intercostal? stuff it took longer than cracked ribs to heal.
    My chest is still rattling and gargling after my off on the 16th.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chest pain 3 weeks after falling off – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.