Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cheltenham BMX race track
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Hi.

In Cheltenham there is a project well underway to redevelop the old Cheltenham BMX track and build an up to date BMX race track in its place. As it is an olympic sport we have some great support already from people in good places and things seem to be moving in the right direction. We need to start raising the profile of the project now

So we have a press event planned for Jan 5th @ 1pm with Martin Horwood, our local MP at the old track to build support in the local press. If anyone can attend this (with bikes if possible) please do.

We’ve created a facebook group to report on progress and enable us to show the level of support for the project.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_151436978237826&ap=1

This will be great for BMX in the the area, but also for other riders too such as MTBers. So even if you can’t attend on the 5th please join this group to show you support for improving the cycling infrastructure in the area.

Cheers and spread the word where you can – the more we get registered the better.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Bump

Kieran

Can’t attend unfortunatly, as it is something I’d support.

However, isn’t it going to be a bit of struggle with the one only finished earlier this year at Bishops Cleeve only being just up the road, and every time I drive past it, it appears completly unused (and now overgrown)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jedi

high5 bushwacked!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Kieran – during summer there are loads of kids riding that one.

However The Bishops Cleeve track was ill conceived and badly built from day one. It is no way near the type of thing we are looking at – it was originally designed drawn by a 15yr old on a sheet of A4!!!

The local club is firmly behind developing this new track and are looking to get this one to a standard where regional races can be run and a race club can be set up. This isn’t just a play track. This is the sort of thing we are hoping for (OK this is Crewe) but we’ll be getting some professional contractors in to do some designs

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

Sounds good Bushwacked……!

Will have to look for a nearby retail outlet….. Thinking it might be a good move to open a BMX / MTB / Freeride shop and cafe nearby!!

mmmmmm, minds thinking now!!

I remember the old days when we used to go to Haydens Skate Ramp in the lower high street, they must have made £££££’s out of us in the back of a tatty old gaff!!

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

ps – is the site the one near the old gas works?!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Thats the one.

jedi

an ideal place for a bikeshop/lifestyle cafe…….

mrmo
    Free Member

only issue i would have is the one i have always had with the moors site, The moors.

I used to have a play on the mtb there before work and you would get comments from locals. Also not sure about the size of the site, but i guess that has been considered. Oh and the concrete finish straight and final berm, which they trashed when they were doing some river works.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Mrmo – My understanding is that the plan is to redevelop it all rather than reuse. Not sure about how much they can fit on the space but that’ll be determined during the design phase.

mrmo
    Free Member

i expect that it would need redeveloping after trashing the last corner, my comment is more that the existing track suffered when the did some work to the finish straight and what do they intend to do to ensure that doesn’t happen again.

They also removed the start ramp at the same time. and i seem to remember flattening of some other corners.

It is a small site though? and the Moors are still there 🙁

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The idea is great but the area in dire it wont last there it will be wrecked.Just like before people were knocked of there bikes years ago had them stolen, things thrown at them while they were riding around.Where did the Churchdown track go?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Hmmm interesting comments. The council are keen for the site to be redeveloped but maybe this is why.

I’ll pass the comments on and discuss.

mrmo
    Free Member

i am not trying to be negative, honestly. Issues i have are as follows,

access down the side of St Bendicts by an alley way, round the back of St benedict via river towards railway line across park or from dodgy housing estate, none of which are very quick escape routes. If a group want your bike not an easy place to escape from.

It is a small site, so the size of track will be limited unless they come up with something, there is/was a football pitch, and there is a park through a small gap in the hedge?

I hope it works.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Cheers Mo.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cheltenham BMX race track’ is closed to new replies.