Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Cheeky trails, polite militancy, and developing a thick skin
  • streetvw
    Free Member

personally the most inconsiderate people I have come across are fishermen on towpaths they take up large sections of path with their gear and them damn pole things are just ridicules got challenged by one the other week told him he should try fishing on the other side of the bank rather than use a 5mtr+ pole

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

re: point 2) – I think the problem with not stopping trail building is that you’re seen as condoning it and they may have legal implications if someone injures themselves.

Yes, I see that. The owner of the wood has recently removed some “features” that were particularly sketchy, including some gap jumps that have caused problems for passing horse riders; quite understandable. I predict that a combined user/owner group will form before too long to co-operate on multi-use issues.

the other issue with ‘perpetual’ cheeky trails is that after 20(?) years of continuous access there may be a ‘right’ in place which makes the land worth less

Not sure about this. Are you saying that a field/moor/wood has reduced salable value if it is crossed by trail? Or maybe this is specific to trails adjacent to residential property?

I absolutely agree that trail users, doing any activity, should not inconvenience other trail users or the work and privacy of the landowner. And all of us should be concerned about maintaining the good condition of trails. In my experience landowners are positively the worst culprits for damaging trails and the environment.

That’s the bridleway sign, lying on the ground where it was run-down:

miketually
    Free Member

Sort of playing Devils Advocate here but you’d complain if you found a walker wandering round at a trail centre.

On FC land, walkers can walk where they like.

duckman

So let me get this straight…In Engerland, you can’t ride a bike anywhere you like? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

wwaswas

Are you saying that a field/moor/wood has reduced salable value if it is crossed by trail? Or maybe this is specific to trails adjacent to residential property?

Certsinly near urban areas land with rights of way on it is worth less as development opportunities may be reduced.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

My understanding is that the law in England says you have no right to cycle or ride a horse on a footpath but doesn’t say you MAY not. Could be wrong though.

Bang on the money!

Pah, in the interest of anal levels accuracy, I’m going to have to qualify my own statement –

You have no recorded right to cycle or ride a horse on a footpath but doesn’t say you MAY not

Aidan
    Free Member

I had an encounter with a walker a few weeks ago…

It was on a moderately steep downhill, so I passed him as wide as possible and at walking pace. He told me I shouldn’t be riding there since it was a footpath. I said that I knew it was a footpath, but I couldn’t see the harm in riding it when under control and in the current (dry) conditions.

We talked for quite a few minutes and his main complaint was that some bikers go too fast and don’t leave enough room when passing. When I pointed out that this could equally well happen on a bridleway and that the problem was those particular bikers being idiots rather than the classification of the path they were on… he conceded.

We parted ways with him saying that I had ruined his arguments and he wished all bikers were considerate. Quite a few more minds out there to change (including idiot bikers), but some can be changed.

crazy-legs

Aidan – good story. I had the same a while ago, a walker said “you shouldn’t be here this is a FP” to which I gave the stock answer of “yes, how silly” and then explained to him that the path we were on was obviously used by the farmer cos I was riding in a bloody great tractor rut. I was therefore doing no harm, it was a wide flat trail, I hadn’t buzzed him or ridden fast and had been polite and friendly.

Amazingly, after a second or two’s thought, he conceded that it was silly that the trail was FP and we wished each other a nice day and carried on our respective ways.

My attitude varies depending on the person accosting me. I’ve done everything from playing the little lost biker routine to ignoring them to (on one occasion recently) telling a violent old lady to f off.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

IIRC, re: the 20 year rule, the Landowner or other appropriate person only has to show there have been steps to oppose the use of the path / trail. This can take all sorts of forms (signs, barriers, talking to some “tresspassers” etc). Just because one person (or a number of them) get away with unchallenged use doesn’t then mean a RoW is established i.e. landowner doesn’t have to catch everyone, just one person.

RoW can be diverted, developments can be arranged to preserve or accomodate them. The establishment of a RoW does not automatically mean £0 land value, irrespective or urban or rural setting although magnitude / gross land value can be different.

After 6 pm? That sounds rather arbitrary, to the point where it’s a meaningless, personal little rule. Much like lots of access law 😉

I agree with the sentiments of being open about your use, polite, firm and adopting a share-and-share-alike attitude. There’s knobs in all walks of life, some on foot, some in cars, some on bikes but most folk are alright in the round, on the whole 😎

As someone pointed out, FC land is almost always open access for walkers. Trail centres aren’t sensible places to be walking but they’re still often legally entitled to be there. After all, lots of trail centres incoporate facilities for the family, kids, ramblers, with nature and sculpture trails etc. So it’s not like you couldn’t reasonably guess there’ll be a few out and about around the trails.

gothandy

Just got back from a week with Doug @ BasqueMTB (bloody great holiday). On the first day there was a rambling organised event, so a lot of people out and about, and every single person we passed smiled, said hello, stepped out of our way, cheered us on and generally made us feel super welcome. It really was a stark contrast with the attitude we get in the UK.

trailmonkey

polite militancy

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

polite militancy ❓

Yes, I’ve unintentionally coined an oxymoronic expression 😆 But I feel it conveys the sentiment.

scruff
    Free Member

We were riding on an Alp in Switzerland and some localish psycho pulled a bigknife on us. I didnt see it but it goes to show its not just England.

(its was on Toboggan iirc)

trailmonkey

its was on Toboggan iirc

as if that trail isn’t scary enough 😯

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve been told off for riding a footpath once and that was by the landowner – pleaded ignorance (I honestly didn’t know it was ‘their’ land) and said I’d got the route off a website :S

Overall though, I do most of my riding on footpaths. They offer much better options and in 7 years of living in Calderdale, have only had that one ‘telling off’ and every single time I ride, I meet pleasant people who are, like me, out and about, enjoying the countryside.

just make out to be an ill educated Scot

I’m biting my hand off trying not to make a witty comment about that…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Toboggan in Verbier? Oddly, I had a group of frenchies try and tell me I shouldn’t be riding on a trail there when we were out there with BV. I told them in my best french to “**** off” which considering I only know how to say that in english, came out very like “**** off”.

Hey, I was a brit abroad, what was I meant to do 😉

BillOddie

Having just come back from rural France where I rode in the local forest.

There were marked trails for MTBs, horses and walkers, some shared some seperate. In general it seems everyone uses all of them (tyre tracks on the walking paths and footprints on the MTB tracks).

Saw a few walkers, all were lovely.

However on my local trails it’s not the same story.

My riding is generally either footpaths in local woodland or unclassified tracks in a large deer park where bikes have been arbitrarily been banned apart from a the tarmac track running through it.

Ironically at busy times this tarmac strip is covered in dogs off leads, small childrens and fat people out for a waddle.

If someone challenges me and I hear them (I use an iPod on solo rides) then I use the “silly isn’t it” defence which whilst being mildly amusing probably isn’t going to win hearts and minds, in fact I have been called a Bar Steward and C U Next Tuesday in a couple of run ins but these are very rare.

Has to be said that the vast majority of run ins I have had have been in the afore mentioned park not in the woods on legit footpaths.

akysurf
    Free Member

Having damaged my knee I find it painful to walk, fortunately cycling does not aggrevate my knee and helps me to remain mobile. Although I’m not ‘disabled’ (no blue badge), I regard my bike as a means of mobility (much like a motability scooter is).

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I think of these challenges as irrational and selective vigilantism. You’re not offending against the walker, so why they feel the need to complain is beyond me. I hope they’d all be as quick to help out a victim of a mugging or catch a bike thief in the act…..

I guess we’re easy targets, less scary than horse riders, 4x4s or crossers to deal with.

As said above, mainly a UK (English) problem – small minds and small country is a bad combo.

ps – had a great day yesterday on the bike selflessly keeping footpaths clear and barely saw a walker using any of them.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Cheeky trails, polite militancy, and developing a thick skin’ is closed to new replies.