Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • cheapish light road frame?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Idly wondering if I can lighten my CAAD10 (1.35kg frame 450gm fork,well over spec as ever)for not too much cash.

Kinesis Aithiem (sp) 1200/330gm for £650 seems the winner, anything close?

doof_doof
    Free Member

You want to get rid of one of the best frames available to save ~270g and spend £650 in the process (though I assume you’d sell the CAAD10)?

Must be weight savings to be had elsewhere?

AD

Funnily enough I’m just trying to decide between those two frames… 🙂 Not a helpful post but I’ll watch this thread with interest!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Best frame available? According to whom?

I do like it, and I did start with “Idly”…

I can buy at trade, so it probably wojldnt cost much. Saving much weight elsewhere would mean a wholesale parts upgrade…

bob_summers

For the price I don’t think the CAAD 10 can be beaten. Anyway, I built up a Hongfu FM 066 into a very sub 7kg bike with unspectacular components. Angles identical to CAAD 10. Unless you’re specifically looking for an ali frame I don’t think you can go far wrong.

doof_doof
    Free Member

ONE of the best. That frame seems to be universally lauded as a great racing frame from what I’ve read about it. But I’m sure you know that, being in the industry and all 😀
    I assume your CAAD is sub 15lbs with pedals if you think there isn’t much fat on it to trim cost effectively.

aracer
    Free Member

Pedalforce CG1 http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?products_id=13613 0.93kg, 0.38kg, ~£570 shipped, plus taxes. Other slightly cheaper, slightly heavier alternatives available.

mboy
    Free Member

KTM Revelator 3300 frameset. £899.99 RRP (but deals available) for the frame and fork. My 55cm frame was just under 1kg when I weighed it, the fork about 330g. The Aithein is supposed to be a top notch frame performance per £ wise, but given I had the option of both at trade and went for the KTM and don’t regret it, I will recommend it to you.

I may have a frameset for sale too very soon if you’re roughly 55cm proportioned. Email in my profile if interested… Oh and rather than being some unknown quantity, these frames are made for KTM (to their design) by a rather large, some might say Giant if you will, far eastern manufacturer of top quality bicycles and framesets!

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Any reason you’re not looking at carbon? These are all a bit lighter the the Kenesis if lower weight is the target. RT-57 and Ribble are also cheaper.

Planet X RT-57 £499.99 ~1400g

Planet X RT-58 £699.99 1371g

Ribble R872 £554 1380g

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t you pop up on every one of these threads to say how it’ll make no difference?

I’d get a Chinese carbon frame, c1100g for a couple of hundred quid.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks all. Mine is about 17.5lb, yeah I could save weight on bits but it would cost more as mine have **** all resale value.

Nj I do tell people that a light bike won’t make them faster, I never say it won’t make them smile more 😛

I’ll probably leave it. I like the CAAD10 and I am a proponent of aluminium. I’m also skint.

cynic-al
    Free Member

And we have a winner, Kinesis Aithein, 1041/330gm for £650 retail.

I think I am too skint/brand-whoreish to go for it, 1lb saving for little cost (selling the old frame) and a potentially better fit is tempting though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘cheapish light road frame?’ is closed to new replies.