Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cheapest way to upgrade Sky to Sky+ ????
  • dickie
    Free Member

Want to upgrade from normal Sky to Sky+.

Website says £150 plus £60 installation for existing customers! Should I threaten to cancel & see want they can do?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

They've usually got offers on, ring and see what they can do before you threaten to leave. Big push is to upgrade to Sky + HD at the moment.

I've got my old Sky+ box if you want to go about it the long way round?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

upgrade to Sky+ HD, 30quid (you only pay for install) although you may have to rejig your contract a little depending on your current viewing package.

does make me laugh though that people expect loads of free equipment when phoning Sky, you don't pop into currys and say " i like that telly, £600? how about you give me it for free"

Free Member

If you have some friends who have sky, they probably have a voucher to get a box for free.

Or – consider getting the M&S (?) vouchers for 'free' when you take out a contract, buy whatever from M&S instead of a.n.other supermarket and it's nearly free sky box?

I'd look at sky HD if you have the TV for it – the improvement on standard definition stuff is worth it alone (although consider upgrading the HDMI cable supplied as it's a pile of…)

jt 😉

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Try and find a deal first – have a look at Digital Spy and AV Forumsto sniff out a free deal.

If you can't get one, call Sky and ask to cancel. They give free stuff to new customers but really stiff existing ones. Don't bother talking to a regular drone but the people in cancellations are paid to "turn round" customers and have the power to give you free stuff. Mention you're thinking of going to Virgin if the going gets tough. You should get a free box and free installation. If you don't – hang up and try again. A different operator will give different results.

Doing it yourself means a new twin/quad LNB, new cable and Sky+ box. May be difficult/expensive esp if your dish is hard to reach.

If you don't need/want HD don't get it. If you have a big HD TV and can afford the extra £10 then do.

BTW johntawn – HDMI cables carry 1s and 0s. It's a digital signal so it either gets through or it doesn't. The free Sky one is cheap and nasty and poorly made but it still works. Tested one back to back with a £90 QED cable on a 1080P projector with a 100" screen. NO DIFFERENCE.

Better shielded cables are worthwhile over longer distances to prevent drop off and better constructed ones are more resistant to constant handling but that's it. Save your money for some Blu Rays 🙂

ton

dickie
    cheapest way to upgrade to sky plus will cost you £49 plus whatever the installer charges you to do it.
    if you decide to do it, give me a ring and i can sort you out.
    if i remember you are in taddy or wetherby.
    i can get a installer off our buddy list to come and do it.
    bell me on 01123633500 tomorrow if interested.

carlosg
    Free Member

We upgraded to sky+ 3 years ago .Tried to reason with them that a new customer would get it free/on the cheap so why not a customer who'd been with them for 15 years, they quoted the company policy crap so I said fair enough cancel my contract with you I'll go to virgin.

They u-turned so quickly that they nearly got whiplash , and I got a free upgrade and installation 😀

mmmm , just got a new hd telly wonder if it'll work again for a +hd box ❓

Alphabet

I bought a 2nd hand Sky+ box on Ebay, a quad line LNB and some shotgun cable and did it myself. Sky will upgrade your account to Sky+ for free.

Google Sky+ DIY for some websites telling you exactly how to go about it.

sohala
    Free Member

rich, just upgraded to sky plus hd, fitted over c'mas. multiroom also.
    we only wanted multiroom, but strangely, it was cheaper to go down the sky plus hd route 😯
    quoted £60 fitted for multiroom, or £15 fitted (inc the extra box) for sky plus hd!!!

makes no sense to me 😕

Drac

As one or two have said upgrade to HD costs you £10pm more but only £30 for fitting and the £10 is well worth I find.

j-cru
    Free Member

definatly try the threaten to cancel thing, it worked for me. Still nothing worth watching tho.
    Actually told them we were considering an alternative (BT vision i think) and they upgraded for nowt.

jamesr
    Free Member

On no account pay for an upgrade.
    Just threaten to leave and they'll soon see sense.
    Worked for us.

Taff
    Free Member

Just talk to them. It's like ordering a new mobile, you never settle for what they offier in the first instance. More often than not they will waive the installation charge as they did with me. Curries are showing £99 pounds and 60 installation. Could be worth a barter with sky

Taff
    Free Member

You mention above that the HD box is only £10 extra pcm but for it to be worth it you need to have the full package so you're looking at more than a tenner but I agree that it's a better option if you can fund it

waynekerr
    Free Member

I remember a Martin Lewis article about how & when to barter with them, can't find it though, have a hunt here

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest way to upgrade Sky to Sky+ ????’ is closed to new replies.