• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Cheapest place to get a 700c rear wheel?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My turbo uses my 20 year old road bike.

The rear Campagnolo hub has just given up after 20 years of never being serviced, in fact I think the the cones are seized. Plus the fact it’s well out of truer.

It’s got an 8 speed Campagnolo cassette, so I assume I need a Campagnolo specific free hub?

Where can I get a cheap wheel, purely for turbo use?

Ta

simondbarnes

You may struggle to get a wheel that will take an 8spd campag cassette. Uses a different spline pattern to modern Campag.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ah great!

So I assume the next step is wheel with Shimano cassette off ebay?

Trouble then is that it’s original chain and chainset, and of course that won’t work with some one else’s shimano block…

simondbarnes

Shimano 8spd cassettes are a different spacing to Campag 8spd so pretty tricky to index nicely I’d imagine…

Campagnolo
    8-speed (centre-centre spacing, sprocket thickness, spacer thickness, total width) 5.0 mm 1.9 mm 3.1 mm 36.9 mm

Shimano 8 speed (centre-centre spacing, sprocket thickness, spacer thickness, total width) 4.8 mm 1.8 mm 3.0 mm 35.4 mm

(from Sheldon Brown)

dobo
    Free Member

for what its worth in case you have some campag 10 speed sti lying around, they shift very well with 8 speed shimano.
    thats what my cx is currently running, crc have sram pg850 cassette for about £12.
    cheaper in germany..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest place to get a 700c rear wheel?’ is closed to new replies.