Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cheapest place to buy OS maps for Garmin?
  • luffy105
    Free Member

As the title says really, just bought a new Garmin and the SD card with my OS maps on it (from my Garmin 800) will not work in it. A quick google indicates that when you purchase from a download it marries to the Garmin device and as such can’t be transferred which makes sense as it prevents copying.

I can’t access the file or purchase info from the original file either because that laptop got destroyed and as such have to start again. The garmin comes with routable mapping but I really liked the OS mapping although don’t like the £109 price tag. Does anyone know where sells it cheaper than that? Answers on here or to luffy105stwAToutlookDOTcom please.

richardthird

Give the talkytoaster free maps a try, the file with contours on. Routable and many prefer them to OS.

rickmeister

OpenMTB as another free option (runs on donations if your pleased with it and all the world can be downloaded after that)

longmover
    Free Member

Just put open street maps on my 810 and it works a treat

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

devash
    Free Member

OpenMTB, Talkytoaster or Openstreetmaps are much better IMO.

I downloaded a dodgy version of the OS maps for my Garmin just to have a play about with as I already have a fair few paper versions and I wasn’t impressed with the quality or performance.

Imagine a paper OS map, scanned as a low res jpeg file. That’s how it looked on my eTrex 20.

Openstreetmaps Lite is what I usually use, with a paper OS map and compass in my Camelbak as backup on long days out.

luffy105
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice all. will look into the options. I guess I liked the OS maps because it is what I’m used to using but will have a try with the others. Looked a little further into purchasing the map from Garmin direct and the premium version is £299. I can’t believe it’s so expensive.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

My OS SD card works fine in all three of my garmins, 800, 1000 and 650 Oregon

luffy105
    Free Member

God knows what i have done then Pawsy_Bear. Mine works fine on the 800 but aint recognised on the 1000. When I bought it i downloaded it then copied onto an SD card rather than wait the few days for Garmin to deliver preloaded. Maybe that was my mistake.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Ah, mine was already on a ssd card when I bought it from garmin.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

we may have found the problem. The 1000 comes with a good map alreay preloaded, not as good as OS for off piste

devash
    I find its essential for using basecamp and the resolution etc is great. You download a dodgy version.

Mate done the same now she cant plot on basecamp. OS map shows up on garmin but thats not a lot of good. Which for me is the main function. I like basecamp because its fast to use. I find online plotting sites slow

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest place to buy OS maps for Garmin?’ is closed to new replies.