Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cheapest option for uploading garmin data (edge 800)
  • Stedlocks
    Free Member

So, my laptop has died a painful one, and my wife and son are getting a bit fed up with me nicking their laptops to upload my stuff.
    I have an iPad 2, but it seems a faff/ nigh on impossible to use that. Can the PS3 be used?

Basically, what are my low rent options for a machine that I can use just for this? Android tablet? Get an edge 810? Used laptop from evilbay?

Any other/better/more cost effective options?

scotroutes

Do you have a mobile phone that supports a USB OTG cable?

stumpy01

I use an LG tablet to get data off my Edge 500, with a USB On-The-Go cable that cost about £3. You plug the Garmin data cable into the USB OTG cable & then plug that into the tablet.

Not all tablets will work though apparently – it depends if it will supply enough power to the Garmin to allow it to power up; not all of them do. So might be worth going into a store & asking to try it out (get yourself an OTG cable first).

There is an app that you can use to control the uploading from Garmins and stuff (can’t remember what it’s called & don’t have my tablet on me to check), but I don’t use it. I just go to the Garmin website page (not the Gamin Connect app) and do Activities>Manual Import.

A cheap Chromebook might also work – I assume they have USB sockets…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

So, my laptop has died a painful one, and my wife and son are getting a bit fed up with me nicking their laptops to upload my stuff.

really? id throw the router down the garden if mine moaned at me for that

andyfla
    Free Member

I know it’s not what you asked , but this is STW after all, but how often are you uploading data ? Even if its once per day surely your wife would be happy with you using her laptop whilst she cooks you supper ? 8)

jam-bo

sell the 800 and buy a 520. mine has uploaded automatically via my phone before I’m changed normally.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Use an app called STUploader on your phone with an OTG cable plugged into garmin and a powered USB hub. No tablet or laptop required. Can take some faffing depending on your phone but plenty of help on interwebs.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

So my mobile is an iPhone 6…. Does that do OTG?

I like your thinking with the dinner cooking thing, but I’ll let you tell her that! Seriously, she owns a pre-school and that laptop,is her work one, with lots of sensitive data on…..and my son has a new bird in Northampton, and spends all his time skyping on the webcam now……I’d have loved some of that when I was 18! His screen looks like a plasterers radio anyway, so I don’t like getting too close to that /0)

I’ll get an OTG cable and take it from there……no PS3 options? I’ve googled myself silly, and my head is frazzled now!

I’m off out on the bike for a few hours, and will check back later :0)

Thanks for the replies so far, and keep em coming if you know any workarounds!

jam-bo

So my mobile is an iPhone 6…. Does that do OTG?

i very much doubt it.

br
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far, and keep em coming if you know any workarounds!

Buy an 810 and then it’ll Bluetooth to the iPhone 6 app or buy a new laptop.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I was thinking of going down the 810 route…..does the 810 use the 800 map card? Then I could just get the base model 810….

Cougar
    RaveyDavey
    Free Member

It won’t work with an iphone as it needs the micro usb port sorry. Its an OTG Y cable with a power supply connector not a standard OTG.

tthew

…..and my son has a new bird in Northampton, and spends all his time skyping on the webcam now……I’d have loved some of that when I was 18! His screen looks like a plasterers radio anyway, so I don’t like getting too close to that /0)

😯 Blimey. Sounds like a fun girlfriend.

Chromebooks do have USB slots, I use the upload file function on Strava to get my Edge 200 data transferred. Easy and reliable.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Problem resolved!
    I was speaking to my nephew, and moaning about the uploading hassles, and he said that he had a laptop that he got with his last phone contract for nothing, that I could have!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest option for uploading garmin data (edge 800)’ is closed to new replies.