Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cheapest 1x crankset for Hollow tech 2 bb? Or nw chain rings with bcd 120
  • joebristol

1x topics seem to come up all the time, but it seems to be a minefield in terms of compatibility.

I built a hard tail as a 1 x 10 but haven’t had a chance to use it much yet. Got an 11-42 sunrace cassette on it with a brand new 10 speed sram gx mech (type 2). It seems to have the range to shift up onto the 42 fine and pedalling backwards doesn’t make the chain fall off. Still needs some fine tuning to get it shifting, but should be OK.

My main fs bike has started dropping it’s chain over rough ground. Maybe just a new chain would resolve this, but I’ve decided I want to go 1x on it with a chain device as well as nw ring and clutch mech.

Got me thinking I might just move the kit on the hard tail to the fs. So that’s fairly easy.

However, I then need a crank to go on the hard tail. Will move over the 11-36 cassette and x9 rear mech.

I have a Sram s1000 double on the fs – which has a bcd 120 big ring.it seems these are rare to obtain – and quite expensive

So does anyone know of a manufacturer that sells a cheap 120 bcd narrow wide chainring or a cheap 1x crank?

So far the zee for £76 is the best I can find. If I bought that it would go on the fs and the triple race face crank I’ve got with the single ring on it (on the hardtail) can stay on the hardtail.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Triple cranks work perfectly, plenty for sale cheap looking around. Either secondhand or with the retailers. CRC have cheap XT at the moment. Zee are quite heavy I think.

Or I have some XTR you could have for that budget 😀

wzzzz
    Free Member

€31.50 120BCD ring, only 36-40t though.
    http://www.amber-bikes.com/120_BCD_Chainrings_SRAM/p3835754_15660277.aspx

Use a triple, this will give you the “standard mtb” chainlink of 49mm that is fine. For extra perfect chainline space the ring in a tad if you have the frame clearance. standard mtb 49mm chainline was set in the dark ages of triples and wide chain stays.

Or use a shimano double crank and space in chainring 2 mm for 49mm chainlink – oneup supply spacers with their rings or get spacers off eBay. Some people swap the BB spacer to the non drive side for the same effect.

If you already have a sram gxp crank – is it one with removable spider? If so get a direct mount n/w ring from race face one up wolf tooth etc.

joebristol

Thanks for comment’s. My gxp crank is pretty low end so doesn’t have a removable spider looking at pictures of it.

Think it’s running on a hollow tech 2 bb as standard – but the bearings are pretty gritty so I want a new one.

Thinking perhaps then getting a deore hollow tech triple for £55 complete with bb. Won’t cost much more than the mentioned chainring plus a bb. Maybe able to sell the rings from the deore and my current cranks/rings on ebay to offset the cost too.

Don’t want to spend the earth on the change – want some pikes to replace my revelations at some point!

A 36 tooth chainring is also probably too big. Currently have a 28 tooth granny ring with an 11-36 cassette. Figuring a 34 with an 11-42 cassette gives me a pretty similar climbing gear – just a bit off the top speed. That said I rarely get into the 42 chainring / 11 tooth rear cog anyway.

chrishc777
    Free Member

34 with 11-42 is about right. Yeah Deores are good, I’ve got one on my crosser and you may get a few quid back for the rings. The cranks do suffer badly with heel rub so get them helitaped, I didn’t do mine and now they look tatty!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I found these on ebay.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/104BCD-Mountain-Bike-Crank-Suit-Sprocket-Set-68BB-for-XT-M610-M590-Mtb-Bicycle-/152231561774

How bad can they be?? They’re just cranks after all.

honourablegeorge

I’d recommend a RaceFace Aeffect with direct mount ring, Ubyk have a great price on them. Light, cheap, strong.

Northwind

joebristol – Member

Think it’s running on a hollow tech 2 bb as standard – but the bearings are pretty gritty so I want a new one.

SRAM use their own BB standard, and their BBs are shite. TBH if you’re thinking of replacing the cranks anyway it’s a good opportunity to get away from that. Any used triple chainset will do what you want, a used SLX should be £30-£40 with no rings and is very nice.

joebristol

The race face aeffect is quite a bit more expensive than deore and a bit more than zee. The raceface has no ring (s) or bottom bracket either.

Not sure on the really cheap ones posted on ebay above – seems too cheap!

joebristol

Just found JE James have a triple slx crankset with bb for £45 delivered. Seems a bargain.

mikertroid
    Free Member

@joebristol

Ordered one the other day; I’ve previously used a 9 spd triple slx (660) from them on another bike and it works perfectly for 1×10/11.

Free BB which another bike needs so a total bargain!

joebristol

Good to know – the one I’ve ordered is an fc-670 slx triple for 10 speed. Have to decide if the slx is going on the fs or the hardtail. The hardtail has a new raceface xc crank on it which looks quite nice but might not be as hard wearing as the slx.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Absolute bargain, quality chainset!

joebristol

Seemed too cheap to be true – I don’t think they’ve got anymore on the site at that price either now that I can see. Almost half the price compared to anywhere else. Result!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Bargain there! I’ve got a set I have had for ages and they are the best wearing cranks I’ve owned. 4 years on and they still look good

joebristol

Cheers Chris – sounds like I’ve hopefully made a good purchase then. Whilst I can’t ride for ages due to shoulder surgery, then I can at least play with bikes and get them ready for January when I hope to at least do some tame xc stuff.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’m recovering from a shoulder op as well. I’m also spending alot of money on bikes I can’t ride!

joebristol

Seems like the best way to avoid lack of bike misery pending being back ok to ride!

Mine is getting new suspension bearings as well as a new drive train / bottom bracket etc. If I had the cash it would be getting whizzier forks too. A new baby on the way precludes that.

wzzzz
    Free Member

SLX are a worthy upgrade from deore – SLX are lighter, almost as light as XT.

Bargain at that price!

mikertroid
    Free Member

Looking forward to mine arriving

joebristol

Still waiting for mine to arrive – also now ordered a raceface NW 34t chainring to go on the slx crank.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest 1x crankset for Hollow tech 2 bb? Or nw chain rings with bcd 120’ is closed to new replies.